Friday, April 26, 2013

Two Quick Necklaces Today

I finally picked up almost everything I need to try some resin pendants this weekend. I want to make some pendants from some tiny little shells I got this last summer, with some sand from Tampa. The sand is white, and the shells came from Virginia Beach in July when my in-laws came to visit.

While they were here, I bought a "shark's tooth" from one of the local gift shops, and I use that phrase "shark's tooth" loosely, because really...who knows what animal it could have come from. Not that it bothers me. I figured it was also a nice reminder of the first time I ever step foot on the beach out here, when we moved here in 1998. A guy was fishing in the surf, right amongst the waders and swimmers there. Someone on the beach stopped me (I must have looked like a tourist way back then), and told me to ask him what he had in the five gallon bucket he was sitting on. I asked him, and he showed me a shark he had just pulled in from that same water, maybe anywhere from 1-3 feet deep. It was about three feet long and pissed it was in his bucket. I asked him what he was going to do with it. He said filet and eat it. :)

Anyway, when Shane's uncle was here, we took him to the Chesapeake Bay beach down at Ocean View here in Norfolk. While digging around on the beach, I found a rock with almost perfect little holes in it. The shape of it reminded me of a bird's skull, specifically, a crow for some reason. I kept it to turn into a pendant.

I finally got my ass in gear and picked up some artificial leather cording today at AC Moore. I love that God damned store....they have everything. It's like creative retail crack for me. I turned both the shark's tooth (because it was cheaper for me to do it myself than buy a shark tooth pendant already) and the rock into simple necklaces.

There are actually four holes in the rock (on the right). They couldn't have been placed any more perfectly for this little project.

No comments:

Post a Comment