Saturday, May 18, 2013

It's Official

I took Dixie back to the vet this morning. She's dropped weight again, is lethargic, has a loss of appetite, and isn't going the bathroom very much. The diagnosis is that she's dehydrated, probably has another infections somewhere, has pancreatitus, her kidney functions are off, and may even have a mass of some kind where the vet couldn't feel it, either deep in her gut or even in her head. It's all age related, and I was told to stop giving her the steroids. They don't go along well with the pancreatitus.

The vet wanted to keep her over the weekend, pump her full of fluids and run a bunch more tests on her, but what it boils down to is Dixie's age. If they could get further into what's wrong with her, then maybe they could buy her some more time. Maybe being the optimum word. And they don't know how long some time could be.

I decided to bring her home with me instead. They gave her a good dose of fluids and some more antibiotics, but that's just to make her comfortable. The real question is when will we know that it's time to let her go.

She perked up a little yesterday after we got home. I knew being home would make her happy, that's part of the reason why I couldn't leave her there for the weekend.

But I know I have to do this. Dixie's always been a serious little girl, but happy and "talked" to me a lot. She was always able to tell me whatever she needed me to know. But she no longer talks like that anymore. She doesn't headbutt any more, and she doesn't come hang out with me in the bathroom when I take a shower at night like she used to do. I had a little girl melt down yesterday when I got home with her. I'm sure Shane is expecting me to be a basket case when the time comes to take Dixie to the vet one last time.

I love her like she's human. This is going to hurt something serious.

As a way to try and get my mind off things, my husband made sure we went out today for lunch and a little sight-seeing here in Norfolk. We parked the car at one of the Park and Ride lots in Norfolk and rode the Tide from one end to the other. It's about 25 minutes one way for the full route. It's been up and running for maybe 1 1/2 years and we just haven't gotten around to riding it yet. At the almost end, we stopped for lunch at Machismo Burrito, another place we haven't been before.

We walked two blocks to Machismo on York Street, we crossed over Boteourte Street. I don't think I've ever been there before, because I would have noticed the road is cobblestone. It's old but I'm sure it's not original. But it was very interesting to see.

After lunch, we rode the Tide to the last westbound stop, it changed directions, and we rode it all the way back eastbound to Newtown Road. The nice thing about this trip was we saw Norfolk from a different point of view, and realized that this light rail thing could be a little bit of an advantage for us if we wanted to go to a hockey game (as far as parking is concerned), and we saw a couple of restaurants we didn't know about to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment