Thursday, June 6, 2013

Poppy Treffry's Applique Hoop

Over the last two nights, I've been attempting to make Poppy Treffry's telephone applique hoop, as featured in issue 19 (September 2012) of Mollie Makes magazine. There has been a moderate amount of swearing and sweating...swearing because I'd been having problems and sweating because it's hotter than Hades upstairs in my crafting room and I haven't turned on a fan yet.

Anyhoo, I have to call this project done and incomplete, much to my chagrin. This should have been much easier.

Poppy Treffry is a UK-based artist with  a company of the same name. "Poppy Treffry the company (as opposed to the person!) was founded in 2003 when it was just Poppy and one cranky Singer sewing machine that her granddad had found on a dump! Poppy put together a small collection of bags, cushions and tea cosies which were quickly snapped up by galleries and boutiques locally and across the UK."

The telephone applique, similar to the card shown at left, was a cross between an applique, quilting, a sewing project, and a hoop for your wall. "Freehand machine embroidered applique looks awesome, right? We love how the messier the stitches are, the better it looks, and applique has to be one of the best stash-busters around," read the article in the magazine.

My problem was that I couldn't raise the foot or the needle on my sewing machine high enough to get the hoop underneath it. That meant I had to try and pin my fabric down as tightly as I could. It was easier said than done. Once I got to the second layer of fabric on the phone, the outer ring of the rotary dial, my fabric was starting to bunch up and move just enough to be off.

My other problem was that I tried a couple times to get the PDF'ed pattern to print out larger than it appeared online or in the magazine. I was a dumbass and didn't save the original magazine pattern because I had it online. I think part of my problem could have been eliminated if I had enlarged the pattern quite significantly.

I could print it out again and give it a third try, but to be honest with you, I'm just over it at this point. Tomorrow night, I'll work on the lining to the knock off Dolce & Gabbana purse I'm working on and see how that goes. But as for tonight, I'm done crafting and it's time to take the dog for a walk.

Good night, Mollie and Poppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment