Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Another Self-Imposed Writing Assignment

Just this last May, I gave myself a writing assignment, based on interviews that are published with authors in Mollie Makes magazine. Today, I'm completing another writing assignment.

As I write this, I'm sitting with my back to the window at one of the B terminals in the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, waiting for my last flight of the day to take me home. I went back to the Midwest from the East coast to see my family, primarily my mother. The update about her is good but not one that I want to talk about here, because typing it will make me cry happy tears and I don't want to do that in public.

So anyway, I'm here in Detroit, hot and sweaty, tired from my sister's asshole cats keeping me awake all night last night, rubbing my watery right eye, sniffing through a stuffy nose (caught Mom's cold), sitting cross-legged on probably the city's nastiest carpet, listening to the rain, all while Bogarting an outlet so I can keep my weak ass laptop battery going, all so I can do a little writing. I've got a Delta Sky magazine in front of me.

I was inspired for some cornball reason, by the interview they do in the front part of each issue: "What's In My Bag,"  where a celebrity is interviewed on how they travel. This interview was with country singer, Trisha Yearwood. I decided, once again, to interview myself, as if I were an artist known for her travels.
-----------------------------------
What's In My Bag//
AMYLYNN98, Artist, Writer

After breaking out in the arts scene in 2009 and starting her meteoric rise in fiber arts, AmyLynn98 took a few breaks in 2013 to do some traveling, both on her own and with her husband, and refresh her creative juices. With notes in her mind on new projects (shabby chic crocheted doily on denim and a new maxi dress design), AmyLynn98 sat down with Delta Sky magazine. Here's how the Iowa native travels.

Most impractical item ever packed:
On my last trip back home, I bought a mini Crock Pot and had to carry it back with me. I always make sure to pack an extra bag so I have something I can check (I always come back with more stuff than I took with me), so I packed the Crock Pot in the original box, tucked clothes all around it, and cross my fingers as I handed my bag over. (I'm still waiting to find out how it fares on the way home!)

Travel uniform:
This really depends on when I'm traveling, mostly by time of year. However, my basic stand-by outfit is jeans and a t-shirt, as well as flip-flops or a pair of low top Converse Chuck Taylors. With having to take my shoes off for security screenings, I want to have something quick and convenient on my feet. I also tend to dress in layers when the weather is cooler, so I'll throw on a hoodie or a sweater (something worn and comfy is perfect for traveling). I don't care so much about how I look when I'm traveling.

In-flight entertainment:
Books! I always have more books on me for my flights than I can finish, but I do a pretty good job in getting through them. And I always travel with yarn and my wooden crochet hook. Finding me on an airplane or in the airport without yarn is about as likely as finding Paula Deen without a stick of butter in her hand. It just ain't gonna happen.

Carry-on of choice:
My Swiss Army laptop backpack. Even if I don't take my laptop with me, I always take the backpack. It's got loads of pockets and it's not too big to slide under the seat in front of me. Plus, it's padded really well, so it's good for carrying smaller items, like souvenirs you're afraid will break in your checked luggage.

In-flight listening:
Anything I have on my MP3 player, usually something happy: Barenaked Ladies, Katrina and the Waves,  Macklemore. Something happy makes the occasional turbulence a little easier to handle. In fact, when I get home, I'll be purchasing BNL's new CD.

Last souvenir purchased:
The Crock Pot from Kohl's. Hey, I don't have a mini Crock Pot and it was on sale. I even had a coupon on top of that! I also bought a Hawkeyes shirt for my husband.

Essential personal care items:
Noise reducing headphones, a supply of tissues, and something to drink!

In-flight reading: 
I'm reading The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub right now, because I want to read the sequel book next. The first book came out in 1984 and I first read it in the late 80's, so I need a refresher here. Also on this trip, I just finished Joyland by Stephen King and In the Footsteps of an Assassin by Michael Kauffman. It seems like whenever I got home, it's right around the time Stephen King has a new book out, so I'm always prepared with something good to read.

2 comments:

  1. 5 days. Got there late on Friday afternoon, left Wednesday morning. Split my time between Waterloo and Marion, and I'm still unpacking. :)

    The crock pot arrived intact, but I lost a tube of lotion. It was inside a plastic bag which also broke, but that was in a separate pocket in my checked luggage, so nothing else was ruined.

    ReplyDelete