I saw KISS in Portsmouth, VA last night and my head is still ringing!!!! The line-up for this version of KISS was Paul Stanley (the Starchild), Gene Simmons (the Demon), Eric Singer (the Catman, whose hair looked amazingly like Lou Ferigno's Incredible Hulk wig from the 70's/80's television series), and Tommy Thayer (the Spaceman). With the change of members over the years, it made me wonder if KISS was like the heavy metal version of the Beach Boys. And what is it like for Eric and Tommy to become the characters that other men created? Is it like Christian Bale putting on the bat-suit, or Daniel Craig becoming James Bond? Is it any less special for them, when they play next to Gene and Paul?
Pictures to come later on, but here's a few videos I found on You Tube.
This was the first time I've ever seen KISS and my husband's second time. He saw them in the early 90's when they weren't wearing the make-up, and as he put it, they only played their girly songs. He said this was a much better show.
It was truly an all-ages show...little kids as young as 5 (either wearing mini KISS t-shirts or with their faces painted up by their parents) to people in their 60's, where all there. Adult men screaming and cheering their heads off...it was kind of awesome to see their excitement. It was kind of contagious, mob mentality or something, because once that video screen showed the band coming from backstage up to start the show, you couldn't help but scream and cheer. My husband has never been this excited at a concert...once we saw Gene on stage with the axe bass, he looked at me and yelled (because of the NOISE of the crowd around us), "IT'S GOD OF THUNDER! I REALLY WANTED TO SEE THIS!" And I figured it would be good, because you could see Gene was on a harness to go airborne again.
Smoke, fireworks...it was like the Fourth of July. These guys are like action figure/rock gods/super heroes come to life. Once that giant KISS curtain fell, they descended from to the stage from a raised drum platform and a giant mechanical spider.
I got to see Gene Simmons breathe fire and spit blood. He is completely facially animated, even with all that make-up on.
The only things I could have done without was the fairly constant smell of pot in the air (I'd had a monster headache that whole afternoon and evening...you'd think the pot smell would have at least taken that away for me, but it didn't) and the $40 t-shirts that were for sale (I didn't plan on buying another t-shirt, but if I did, that $40 charge would have kept me from doing so).
- I want to go hang gliding in Kill Devil Hills, NC.
- I want to see the archelogical dig at the Jamestown Settlement.
I want to see KISS in concert, in the make-up.
- I will get a job at some kind of animal shelter, and I'm going to be damn good at whatever I end up doing there.
- I will get at least one old, beat up piece of wood furniture, save it from going to the landfill, and refinish it. Holy crap, I'm still working on this one!!!
I'd like to go on an LCAC ride with my husband before he transfers to his new command.I had to cross this one off finally, because Shane left this command already. This bummed me out. I never got a ride on an LCAC out on the bay. Some of his family members did, and even though I offered to take any number of half days off from work, I never got to ride. I will go to see the Booth Trail in 2013. I will go to Natural Bridge, VA and the Shenandoah Valley and stay in a cabin in the woods.
- I will go to Hiddenite Gems, an emerald mine open to the public, in NC in 2013.
I will go to the Richmond Zoo and the Virginia Zoo (they have done a lot of remodeling and I haven't been there for a several years).
- I will go to the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. in 2013.
- I want to go to Tokyo some day. I would like to go to Hiroshima as well, but I've heard that Americans are unofficially unwelcomed there, and I don't blame the Japanese people if that's true.
- I want to see the pyramids and sphinx in Egypt.
- I'd love to see the Mona Lisa (she's in the Louvre in Paris) and The Scream (there are a couple, two of them are in Munich).
- I want to go to London, and maybe look for the TARDIS and the Doctor.
- I want to go to San Diego to see my best friend, go to Comic Con, wear a costume, take lots of photos, find an awesome looking Spider-Man so I can give him a hug for just being Spidey, and then walk a beach on the Pacific Ocean, looking for shells.
- I'd like to go to a taping of "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" if we ever go to California.
- I want to have at least one great, wildly creative crochet pattern published in a real book somewhere.
- I'd like to have our yard be featured for our Halloween decorations with a local tv station, so people might understand you don't have to spend big bucks on decorations and still put together a great display (I say this because we don't go as crazy for Christmas decorations).
- I'd like to win a challenge on Craftster.
I'd like to compete on Craft Wars on TLC.I had to cross this one off too, because I'm pretty sure it's no longer on the air. I can't find any updated information on it.
- I will finish the Jedi costume finally and I will join the Rebel Legion in 2013.
- I will finish the doll house I started several years ago.
- I want to go to Ohio and see Ralphie Harper's house from The Christmas Story.
- I want to see Weird Al Yankovic in concert, and maybe even the Bangles if I ever get to California.
- I want to see the Barenaked Ladies again, the next time they come to Hampton Roads: This one is happening in August.
- I want to take my friends to the Virginia Safari drive through park in Stanton, VA.