Sunday, September 15, 2013

Made a Visit to Fort Monroe & the Casemate Museum

I won't lie...I went to the Casemate Museum and Fort Monroe in Hampton, VA just because it was free. It was kind of like an unofficial, non-listed entry on my bucket list.

"Completed in 1834, Fort Monroe was originally designed to protect the Hampton Roads waterway from an enemy attack and is the largest stone fort in America. Within the fort is the Casemate Museum, which chronicles the military history of Fort Monroe from the construction of Fort Algernourne, the first defensive fortification at the site in 1609, through the last major command to be headquartered at Fort Monroe, the Army’s Training and Doctrine Command. The museum features the room where Jefferson Davis’ was held briefly as prisoner following the American Civil War, highlights Major General Benjamin Butler’s Contraband of War decision that granted refuge to 3 escaped slaves, and tells the history of the US Army Coast Artillery Corps. No longer an active military base, Fort Monroe is open to the public and admission to the Casemate Museum is free."

The whole area is just gorgeous, the architecture is amazing, and the museum is actually pretty cool. I was glad that I went.





There was a sign in the museum that said the archways were actually built according to the average height of men back during the Civil War. It was about 5'8", in case you were wondering. Not a whole lot of head room here, and I'm 5'5".









It took a lot of self control to not steal one of these possibly authentic bricks for my own rock garden. But it felt wrong so I didn't try.








I thought this little theater was just beautiful and so well maintained. Who knows what it looked like on the inside, but I would have loved to gone in. It was locked up tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment