Sunday, September 1, 2013

Pussed Out on the BNL Show

I truly was in a snit yesterday, still from the day before.

So I did make it out to the ocean front for the BNL concert, which was a part of the American Music Festival. I probably should have stayed home. I was able to find a parking lot with spaces left, and spent my cash for that. The metered street spots had machines that weren't accepting any cards for payment for some reason, and I don't normally carry around $5 in quarters on me (it was either coin or card for payment), so I had to use my cash elsewhere.

I got there just after the gates opened at 12:30 for the general admission seating. I was about 20 feet from the stage. It was a good spot. According to my ticket and everything I saw online (because I double checked it for accuracy), Smash Mouth was to take the stage at 1:30 and then BNL at 2:30.

Guess what...the schedule lied. Some band from Sydney, Australia called Longreef started playing at 1:30 for an hour. When they ended and the guys started breaking down the stage for Smash Mouth, I just decided to leave. I just couldn't care to stay. Hell, I haven't even bought BNL's new CD. The only bad things about Longreef is the guys seemed to look more like musician "characters" like out of Guitar Hero or something, and the fact that after every third song, the leader singer announced, "Thank you, Virginia Beach, we are Longreef from Sydney, Australia!"
Granted, Longreef was good, but I didn't come to see them, and I was starting to get a headache and get thirsty, so I decided to just bail.

My heart truly wasn't into it. Plus, normally, you can't bring in coolers, just blankets or chairs (which I brought a beach chair with me), but there were coolers galore. Okay, so I wasn't prepared. I couldn't buy anything to drink because there were no ATM's and the vendors were only accepting cash.

As I was walking back to the car, there was a family in front of me. It looked like a woman about my age, the daughter, with her parents. The daughter was HOT, complaining that she'll never come back to the music fest again because they lied about the schedule. Preach on, sister, I'm with you there. She was saying she didn't come to see the band that was playing. I checked the schedule again just now...she had to have come from the Longreef show like I had. There wasn't anything else playing at that time.

So I left the ocean front, stopped at a Wendy's and inhaled a large strawberry lemonade and a large diet coke (I'm guessing my headache may have been thirst induced, but not entirely as I still have a headache this morning). On my way back, I stopped by Barett's Street Auctions and Antique Mall in Virginia Beach. I used to drive past there all the time for an old job I had, so I decided to pop in and take a look.

So many beautiful things there! I took a few photos of things I would have loved to have bought.

Wood pallet flag. Kind of rustic, but the stenciled starts look a little too oddly perfect compared to the flaking red and white paint. This might look right at home up on the side of a barn somewhere in the country.

Winged bulldog with a thyroid condition? This statue was among the Asian-themed yard statues outside.

"Recycled mailbox for $75." Ummmm, no. Not with untreated wood, thank you,

I thought these statues were just lovely. There was a fifth one on the right end but she was completely busted across her midsection. Laying in the pine needles like that, they reminded me of lost and forgotten Lady Liberties.

$450 for an oak dresser, painted with the Union Jack. Absolutely love this!

No price tag on this, but if it were refinished, wouldn't it make a fabulous little cabinet for a potting bench and supplies in a yard somewhere? It comes with the door and hinge. There's even a light fixture in the ceiling.

Iron, shelf sitting mermaid for $50. I'm thinking about going back for her today and breaking out the ole'credit card. I've been wanting a good looking mermaid for sometime now, even though I don't know where she'll sit.

Santa in a resin-filled wading pool for $35. I think I need to get him too.

$450 for this small (maybe 4' tall) metal dress form. I think she would look lovely in a garden, with ivy winding through her.

For some reason, this portrait really struck me. $1250 for it, painted by V. Sigmond. This portrait is huge. It has to be almost 5' tall. I checked online for V. Sigmond, but I couldn't find anything about him/her.


  • I want to go hang gliding in Kill Devil Hills, NC.
  • I want to see the archelogical dig at the Jamestown Settlement.
  • I want to go to the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art.
  • I want to see KISS in concert, in the make-up.
  • I will get a job at some kind of animal shelter, and I'm going to be damn good at whatever I end up doing there. 
  • I will get at least one old, beat up piece of wood furniture, save it from going to the landfill, and refinish it. Holy crap, I'm still working on this one!!!
  • I'd like to go on an LCAC ride with my husband before he transfers to his new command. I had to cross this one off finally, because Shane left this command already. This bummed me out. I never got a ride on an LCAC out on the bay. Some of his family members did, and even though I offered to take any number of half days off from work, I never got to ride. 
  • I will go to Hiddenite Gems, an emerald mine open to the public, in NC in 2013. 
  • I will go to the Richmond Zoo and the Virginia Zoo (they have done a lot of remodeling and I haven't been there for a several years). 
  • I will go to the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. in 2013. 
  • I want to go to Tokyo some day. I would like to go to Hiroshima as well, but I've heard that Americans are unofficially unwelcomed there, and I don't blame the Japanese people if that's true. 
  • I want to see the pyramids and sphinx in Egypt. 
  • I'd love to see the Mona Lisa (she's in the Louvre in Paris) and The Scream (there are a couple, two of them are in Munich). 
  • I want to go to London, and maybe look for the TARDIS and the Doctor. 
  • I want to go to San Diego to see my best friend, go to Comic Con, wear a costume, take lots of photos, find an awesome looking Spider-Man so I can give him a hug for just being Spidey, and then walk a beach on the Pacific Ocean, looking for shells. 
  • I'd like to go to a taping of "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" if we ever go to California. 
  • I want to have at least one great, wildly creative crochet pattern published in a real book somewhere. 
  • I'd like to have our yard be featured for our Halloween decorations with a local tv station, so people might understand you don't have to spend big bucks on decorations and still put together a great display (I say this because we don't go as crazy for Christmas decorations). 
  • I'd like to win a challenge on Craftster. 
  • I'd like to compete on Craft Wars on TLC. I had to cross this one off too, because I'm pretty sure it's no longer on the air. I can't find any updated information on it. 
  • I will finish the Jedi costume finally and I will join the Rebel Legion in 2013. 
  • I will finish the doll house I started several years ago. 
  • I want to go to Ohio and see Ralphie Harper's house from The Christmas Story. 
  • I want to see Weird Al Yankovic in concert, and maybe even the Bangles if I ever get to California. 
  • I want to see the Barenaked Ladies again, the next time they come to Hampton Roads:This one is happening in August. They don't sound the same as a 4 man group compared to what they sounded like with 5 guys.
  • I want to take my friends to the Virginia Safari drive through park in Stanton, VA.

No comments:

Post a Comment