Sunday, September 15, 2013

Still Working on the Bench


Because I'm still in a bit of a bad mood lately (still from my family's overall health situations), I hadn't been working on the bench lately. I've been sulking in the house. But I'm trying to get over that the best I can, so I've started back on the  bench again.

I bought some twisted looking wood trim for the front and sides, to hide those raw plywood edges somewhat. I'm also doing some additional re-staining in some spots, right over the last coat of poly. I'm going to poly it again once I'm satisfied with the new stain. Because the trim is a different kind of wood than the rest of the bench, it came out as dark brown once stained, but I think that's still looking alright. Also, for some weird reason, the underside of the bench lid, open there in the second picture, came out brown there too, even though the top part of it, in the first picture, came out red.

Wood and stains are an interesting combination. It's like the butterfly effect. :) "In chaos theory, the butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions in which a small change at one place in a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state. The name of the effect, coined by Edward Lorenz, is derived from the theoretical example of a hurricane's formation being contingent on whether or not a distant butterfly had flapped its wings several weeks earlier." Did the underside of the lid turn a different color from the stain than the top part because I let it sit for so long in a non-temperature controlled environment? Or is it just because the new can of stain I bought mislabeled? Is the moisture level in the lid different because of how it was sitting for a couple days? Or am I over thinking all this?

No comments:

Post a Comment