Sunday, October 6, 2013

Another New Original Recipe: Alligator and Penne

As I mentioned earlier, I'm still trying my hardest lately to do more cooking and less shopping.

Today was another day for some kitchen creativity for lunch. It was good, but not as good as my brothless stew from a week ago.
  • 1 lb of alligator (If you live in Hampton Roads, VA, you can get alligator from the butcher shop at the Virigina Beach Farmers' Market)
  • 1 box of Barilla penne pasta
  • 1 jar of Kroger tomato basil pasta sauce
  • 1 can of Red Gold diced tomatoes
  • About 1/2 bag of frozen peas
  • Dried oregano, basil garlic powder, and black pepper
  • Fresh dill and cilantro
  • 2-3 tablespoons of pesto sauce
I cut the alligator into cubes and cooked it in a large pan on medium heat with oregano, basil garlic powder, and black pepper. Unlike the lamb, I didn't need to add any water to the pan for the alligator. It was still very cold and firm, almost completely thawed out, but it got very juicy when I was cooking it. In fact, when it was done, I had to drain it.

I added the sauce, diced tomatoes, peas, dill, cilantro, and pesto sauce to the alligator, and then covered it and reduced the heat to low and just let it simmer while I was cooking the pasta to the directions on the box. Once the pasta was done, I added it to the sauce mixture and continued to let it simmer for another 20 minutes. I wanted to make sure I had enough time to really infuse the flavors.

This was another good meal that I'm going to have leftovers from, for a couple more meals. If you've never had alligator, I highly recommend you try it. It's like really good, quality chicken breast.

No comments:

Post a Comment