Sunday, December 22, 2013

Slight Bucket List Update

I had the chance to go to the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art in Virginia Beach.

'The Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art is a non-profit institution which exists to foster awareness, exploration, and understanding of the significant art of our time. Through excellence and diversity in our changing exhibitions and educational programming, MOCA stimulates critical thinking and dialogue throughout the Hampton Roads community.

"Regularly changing exhibitions feature painting, sculpture, photography, glass, video and other visual media from internationally acclaimed artists as well as artists of national and regional renown. By balancing its four primary activities—gallery exhibitions, studio art classes, educational outreach programs and outdoor art shows—MOCA seeks to involve a diverse regional public in the rich and active language of contemporary visual art. By operating at a national standard, MOCA received accreditation from the American Alliance of Museums in 2010."

I wasn't there for a long time because there wasn't a whole lot to see there, and they don't allow photography inside.

"MOCA creates original exhibitions and borrows traveling exhibitions from other institutions. Work comes to the museum, on loan, through the generosity of artists, museums, galleries and private collectors. The museum does not hold copyright for the works on view. With the exception of Dale Chihuly's Mille Colori, please do not photograph the artwork, unless otherwise indicated in the gallery spaces."

I don't agree with the no photography rule, because I like taking photos of exhibits when I'm at museums. Of the things on display inside, there were so may beautiful things that I would have loved to taken photos of there. And their photography rules were too stringent for my tastes, even outside (but I didn't know about this until after I left the museum: : "All photographers (anyone capturing or recording an image by mechanical or digital means [film or video] for commercial, professional, artistic or recreational use) are required to check-in at the Welcome Desk upon entering the facility."

So I'm supposed to ask permission to take photos outside, even for my own use? Okay, so I broke the rules for my own desires and snuck a couple of pictures. I wasn't impressed with MOCA.



This room was for student artworks. Some of their student/non-professional artists had the best pieces of art there.

I thought the sunset and the little boy in the rain paintings were quite amazing, and the 2 busts were truly lovely. 
Barnaby Barford was part of the temporary exhibit. He works in video and ceramics. He did a trio of statues of Britany Spears, Grace Jones and Amy Winehouse each in different appearances as the three furies. I would have loved to have gotten good photos of each of them. I went online to Yahoo Images and couldn't find ANY images there of his three furies line. His own online gallery was pretty limited too. :(
This is the only place in the museum where photography is automatically allowed, without obtaining prior permission.


  • I want to go hang gliding in Kill Devil Hills, NC.
  • I want to see the archelogical dig at the Jamestown Settlement.
  • I want to go to the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art.
  • I want to see KISS in concert, in the make-up.
  • I will get a job at some kind of animal shelter, and I'm going to be damn good at whatever I end up doing there. 
  • I will get at least one old, beat up piece of wood furniture, save it from going to the landfill, and refinish it. Holy crap, I'm still working on this one!!!
  • I'd like to go on an LCAC ride with my husband before he transfers to his new command. I had to cross this one off finally, because Shane left this command already. This bummed me out. I never got a ride on an LCAC out on the bay. Some of his family members did, and even though I offered to take any number of half days off from work, I never got to ride. 
  • I will go to see the Booth Trail in 2013. 
  • I will go to Natural Bridge, VA and the Shenandoah Valley and stay in a cabin in the woods
  • I will go to Hiddenite Gems, an emerald mine open to the public, in NC in 2013. 
  • I will go to the Richmond Zoo and the Virginia Zoo (they have done a lot of remodeling and I haven't been there for a several years). 
  • I will go to the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. in 2013. 
  • I want to go to Tokyo some day. I would like to go to Hiroshima as well, but I've heard that Americans are unofficially unwelcomed there, and I don't blame the Japanese people if that's true. 
  • I want to see the pyramids and sphinx in Egypt. 
  • I'd love to see the Mona Lisa (she's in the Louvre in Paris) and The Scream (there are a couple, two of them are in Munich). 
  • I want to go to London, and maybe look for the TARDIS and the Doctor. 
  • I want to go to San Diego to see my best friend, go to Comic Con, wear a costume, take lots of photos, find an awesome looking Spider-Man so I can give him a hug for just being Spidey, and then walk a beach on the Pacific Ocean, looking for shells. 
  • I'd like to go to a taping of "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" if we ever go to California. 
  • I want to have at least one great, wildly creative crochet pattern published in a real book somewhere. 
  • I'd like to have our yard be featured for our Halloween decorations with a local tv station, so people might understand you don't have to spend big bucks on decorations and still put together a great display (I say this because we don't go as crazy for Christmas decorations). 
  • I'd like to win a challenge on Craftster. 
  • I'd like to compete on Craft Wars on TLC. I had to cross this one off too, because I'm pretty sure it's no longer on the air. I can't find any updated information on it. 
  • I will finish the Jedi costume finally and I will join the Rebel Legion in 2013. 
  • I will finish the doll house I started several years ago. 
  • I want to go to Ohio and see Ralphie Harper's house from The Christmas Story. 
  • I want to see Weird Al Yankovic in concert, and maybe even the Bangles if I ever get to California. 
  • I want to see the Barenaked Ladies again, the next time they come to Hampton Roads:This one is happening in August.
  • I want to take my friends to the Virginia Safari drive through park in Stanton, VA.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was really nice but it didn't take very long to go through this museum. It's a big building, so I thought it would take longer, but it was a nice thing to do on a weekend. :)

      Delete