Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Review of Premier Yarns Starbella Strata

When I was at work at the arts and crafts store the other day, I was talking to a customer about yarn. I'm getting called over the yarn department more and more to talk about yarn arts with customers. :) This woman was looking for two particular yarns. We did some searching and came across both of them.

One of them was Starbella Strata by Premier Yarns. "Starbella Strata brings all the fun of ruffle yarns to the next level. Make a quick cowl by inserting your hand into one end and opening up the pre-knit tube --- or, knit or crochet into the edge just like with Starbella for billowy scarves and accessories. 1 ball makes a colorful cowl or scarf - and they make great gifts!"

--71% Acrylic; 29% Polyamide
--Super bulky weight, 7.3 yards
--Hand wash, cold water, lay flat to dry. Do not iron, do not bleach. Imported.

This customer told me you could cut off a length of Starbella Strata, secure the ends and it becomes a ready made cowl that looks machine knit. It sounded pretty cool so I needed to get a skein for myself. You can find the directions for the Jazzy Cowl on Premier Yarns site. Each skein is 7.3 yards and makes 2 cowls.

I got the Blush (color #41-02) and made two cowls tonight (1 for me and 1 for Nicole the Knitter. Michelle the Cook doesn't like the feel or texture of yarn). I decided to just machine hem the ends of each instead of trying to just slip stitch the ends. I didn't think it would be a good idea to leave the ends raw like that because they look like they could unravel.

I like the variegated colors in the Blush (all of the Strata yarns are variegated) but a few solid colors would have been nice to see. The Cafe Au Lait and the Smokey colors are really pretty. Nightlife and Paradise look really similar to each other, enough so that one of those colors could be discontinued.

The plus side of this yarn is having a couple of quick cowls when everything is said and done. It's the lazy crafters' yarn and I don't have a problem with that. It's got a nice net-appearance to it, once you've got it stretched out.

The downside to this yarn is yet to be seen. I'm not sure yet if this yarn has a memory: will it remain stretched to how I've stretched it, or will it creep back? So far, after only a few wearings over the last couple of days, it seems like the yarn has a slight memory, as it shrinks back somewhat over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment