Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Reworked My First Crocheted Blanket

Way back when I first re-learned how to crochet (trust me, it makes sense), one of the thing my husband wanted was a black and gold blanket because he's a Steelers fan.

My grandma taught me to crochet when I was a kid but I got bored with it because all she was going to teach me was the granny square. I got bored and didn't start up again with crocheting in about 1999 or 2000. That was when I had to relearn it and basically learn it ALL.

So anyway, I made this blanket...50 black grannies and 50 yellow grannies. All of them had a white border and they were whip stitched together. Through various washings and at least 1, if not 2, ship deployments, this thing kept falling apart at the seams. It just wouldn't stay together.

"You can't get rid of that," he'd exclaim, seemingly in shock that I would suggest such a heinous thing.

"But it is falling apart. I can't keep repairing it. There are so many holes in it," I'd tell him. "Let me make you a new one."

He was like Linus where that first blanket was concerned. "You can make me a new one, but  you put THAT ONE up in the attic. I'm keeping it." So yeah, I tucked it away and for the most part, forgot about it's sad existence in a vacuum seal bag upstairs in a hot, dark attic. Until one day...

...I was repairing a friend's daughter's blanket that I'd made for her. And all of a sudden, it hit me...I could use the join as you go method for grannies and repair my husband's original blanket!

I went upstairs to the attic and brought it down, and I started ripping into that sucker like Kim Kardashian going through fake eyelashes. I took all the original white borders off the squares and was left with the black and yellow squares. Thanks to some really nice people on Ravelry who sold me some skeins of a discontinued yarn that I started with, I was able to finally complete the re-do of the blanket tonight!


This bad boy now covers slightly more than a queen sized bed! The rows of grannies have 2 rows of white yarn. and then 1 row of the discontinued Lion Brand black suede. Because of the black borders, it made this blanket much larger. I did, however, leave off one entire row of 10 squares because I just couldn't take looking at this thing anymore! But it is done and it's much stronger now than anything that was whip stitched together.

And the husband is quite happy to have his original Steelers blanket back.

1 comment: