Monday, June 2, 2014

Finished Fixing Mom's Flamingo

One of the things we brought back from our trip home was a heavy stone flamingo that belonged to my mom. It was a little rough looking. having spent at least one Iowa winter outside and several Iowa summers baking outside in the heat.

That one winter it sat outdoors for is what helped to break it's neck. Luckily for me, there is some kind of rebar inside the neck, so everything held together in the bed of the truck on the way back here.

I used a Walgreens knock off of Gorilla Glue, which I was very happy with. The Python Glue is actually thinner and less "foamy" than the Gorilla brand. A couple applications inside the crack was enough to secure the break, but it wasn't enough to disguise it.

For that, I needed to make a couple thin clay collars for it from Sculpey. And since it's oven bake clay, I had to breal down and buy an embossing/heat gun to cure it.

Those revolting brown marks on the clay are from the heat gun. I wanted a light clay so I could easily see when it was cured from the heat gun. So I guess that technically makes those burn marks.

After it was dry, I primed everything again.
Then I did a quick and dirty paint job on it to set my base colors: just a bright pink for the body and a hunter green for the base. I didn't do any detail work with it. It was just two cans of spray paint.

I painted everything else by brush last night with other colors for the details.





I think my mom would approve of this. I had asked her once before if she'd let me fix it for her and she said no at the time. Now, you've got to get right up on it to see where the thickness and smoothness of the neck changes where the clay and the stone come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment