Friday, June 13, 2014

It Was a Good Beachcombing Day

I had the day off from work so I decided to go out and hit the beaches in Norfolk to start getting supplies for my version of my boss's shell wreath. I found enough stuff to get me started but I'm going to need to go to Virginia Beach tomorrow. I can't find horseshoe crab shells or mermaid purses out here. I did find a Corona beer bottle cap though, and it made me laugh a little bit, so I snagged it for my wreath.

While I was out though, I came across something I've never seen before. I was out in the Ocean View area where there are condos on the beach. While I was walking, I actually came across the remains of a turtle. I'm guessing it was a sea turtle that had washed ashore several days before today.

If you're squeamish, just go on to another page right now, okay?

Still here? Alright, you've been warned.


I thought it was kind of sad that this was all that was left of this beautiful creature. Just a tangle of bones, a skull, thin leathery flippers, all in a tangle of seaweed and tendons. The weird thing is that he/she didn't really smell. You'd think the stench coming off this pile would be atrocious! How could someone in the condos, or even tourists (because we are in the midst of tourist season here on our beaches) not bother to call the Aquarium stranding team? Or at the very least, dispose of the carcass on their own?

The only other time I'd seen anything remotely close was yeaaaaaaaaars ago, when our niece and nephew were here, a much larger (dead) turtle with a wounded flipper washed ashore in Virginia Beach. People were respectful and looked at it, but stayed away from it because the Aquarium had a team on the way to take care of it.

This turtle was much smaller. I'm thinking no more than 100 pounds. It was probably a loggerhead. "A true stranding is defined as a dead or live debilitated sea turtle found in the water or on a
shoreline for which interactions with a lawfully conducted human activity such as commercial/recreational fishing or navigational channel dredging cannot be confirmed through
direct observation."


No comments:

Post a Comment