Saturday, June 7, 2014

Say Hello to Orion!

Well, 06/06/98 was actually Dixie's anniversary day with us. We haven't gone quite a year without her, and there are times I still get teary eyed thinking about that wonderful little girl.

But in an effort to bring some life and good vibes back into our house, my husband adopted this little (big) girl for us today. Her name is now Orion.


She's about 10 months old (probably weighs about 12 lbs!), and came from North Carolina to a local PetsMart for an adopt-a-thon today. I think she chose us.

Cujo, our German Shepherd, had been afraid of other cats, since Dixie left us. This time, it wasn't fear he showed, but more like discomfort in being there among so many strange people at the pet store, Orion was interested in him and showed no fear or aggression herself.

We're giving her some time to adjust before giving her full run of the house. She hides her face against my chest when I make her come out from under the bed. Once she gets warmed up, she rubs her face all over mine and purrs.

She was renamed to Orion for a couple of reasons. My mother-in-law used to name her cats after various gods and goddesses. It was a naming trend we planned to do with Dixie, but I couldn't bear to change her name for some reason. It didn't feel right. But we knew we'd do it with this girl. Orion was a hunter in Greek mythology.

Orion is also a constellation my husband and I look for in the winter whenever we're apart. Kind of like that idea that even though we're apart, we're at least seeing the same stars.

Plus, and here's my geek side showing, it's a big chunk of the plot of "Men in Black."

''To prevent war, the galaxy is on Orion's belt."

No comments:

Post a Comment