Thursday, June 5, 2014

What I Did Today

For some reason, tonight was a rough night for me. I got to thinking about our moms and Dixie, and it just got me down. I wish I could take us back in time a few years, to when everyone was healthier and happier.

I think part of the reason for my down in the dumps feeling is because we've just started, this week, in looking for another cat. I miss Dixie something fierce and part of me in afraid I won't love another cat as much as I loved her, and will Cujo feel somehow less loved than he was before a new cat.

I need to turn my brain off.

Anyway,

  • I worked on the Tennessee Titans blanket for a little bit while watching Robert Downey, Jr. in Iron Man 3. I'm starting to think he's got a little bit of what Hugh Jackman and Denzel Washington have going on: the older they get, the hotter they get! These guys just get better and better looking with age!
  • I turned two curtain panels into 4 individual cafe curtains for Nicole the Knitter for her new house. They were actually the curtains I had on our dining room window here. 
  • Turned a pair of colored, printed jeans into capris. They were just a tad too snug in the calves as jeans, which is the way they were supposed to fit. They weren't skinny jeans, but I kept cuffing them to make them shorter whenever I'd wear them, so it just made sense to cut them and hem them.
  • Replaced a button on a shirt I just got from the thrift store, a really nice robin's egg blue silky short sleeved button down shirt.
  • Fixed a seam on the zipper on a pair of jeans
  • Cut off a Derek Lam button down shirt style dress into an actual shirt. I loved the dress: I bought it at Kohl's a year ago with a gift card from my mom for my birthday. There were tons of these on the clearance racks and I couldn't figure out why. Well, after wearing it a few times, I figured out why.
Even with the buttons all the way down and the mid-thigh length, there was no practical way to sit without the dress riding up and making you look like a wanna be slut. I tried wearing a slip underneath. Hell, I even go Capri leggings to wear with it instead of the slip. Nothing really worked for this dress. It's got a great design...when it's on a hanger or on display. But in real life, it just didn't work.

I didn't want to toss this, so I cut it off at the hips (on the dummy), pinned it and sewed it again. I've lost about 2/3 of the pockets on the sides, but I've still got this piece because I did love it. It's a really lightweight fabric and quite comfortable to wear when it's hot outside still. I'm going to wear it tomorrow to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment