I rented a car here in town on Friday night, and we finally got on the road about 8:30 AM. Be forewarned...if you travel with smokers, expect your stops to be longer. Or, if you've got a friend with a tiny bladder, expect your stops to be more frequent. Me....I had both of those scenarios going on!
But we finally got there and had a good time! The drive through park now has a nice sized zoo with lots of animals to see, even before you start the drive-through portion.
I'm happy to report there was no damage to the car (I wasn't going to take my nice car up there, and risk a random animal chewing on it...I had that happen once with the Blazer the first time I went to this park several years ago). However, a zebra did lick Michelle's window, a llama snorted on her arm, a bison stole the entire food bucket right out of Nicole's hands, and pieces of food was left behind on the outside of the car. All in all, it was a pretty good day trip. There was lots of laughing and snorting, of the human variety! So that's another thing I can cross off my bucket list.
Afterwards, we stopped at the Edleweiss German Restaurant in Staunton, VA, which was about 20-30 minutes away from the park. The food was good, but the service was pretty bad. It may have had something to do with them being completely slammed that night, or maybe because we looked to be the liveliest group in the restaurant that evening.
- I'd like to take a tour of a Navy sub, but my husband and I don't know anyone that works on board a sub.
I'd like to take a tour of a Navy ship that most people will never get to go on.
- I'd love to go for a ride in a fighter jet of some kind.
- I want to go jet skiing in the Atlantic Ocean.
- I want to go scuba diving or snorkeling in the Caribbean.
- I want to go to the top of the Washington Monument.
I want to go to NYC, and see the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, the Twin Towers, and go to a show of some sort.We went there in 2000 and saw The Late Show with David Letterman. I want to go to the Saint Louis Arch.We did this in 1999. I want to go to Niagara Falls..We did this in 2000. I want to go to Universal Studios Florida..We did this in 2001 and I'd love to do it again! I want to go to the Poconos and stay in one of their themed suites.We did this in 2006 and stayed at Caesar's in the champagne glass suite.
- I want to stay in a themed suit at the HoJo in Florence, KY.
- I want to get a memorial tattoo in honor of my mom and my mother-in-law.
- I want to write a bad sci-fi horror script and present it to the Sy-Fy Channel and to The Asylum to see if they'd be willing to make it into an actual movie.--I'm actually writing a screenplay right now!
I want to finally order the "Hell's Admin Assistant" patch for my motorcycle jacket that I've been thinking about for years.--I figure it's a funny alternative to a Hell's Angel patch, which I'm clearly not a member of Hell's Angels. I ordered one from Star City Stitchery!
- I'd like to cuddle a baby gorilla. I really don't know where this one comes from, but aren't baby gorillas the cutest babies EVER??!
I want to take a painting class, a la Bob Ross. I want to go hang gliding in Kill Devil Hills, NC.
- I want to see the archaeological dig at the Jamestown Settlement.
- I want to go charter boat fishing in the Atlantic Ocean: I tried doing this in 2012, but the water was really rough that day. I didn't catch anything but I sure made a lot of chum!
I want to go to the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art. I want to see KISS in concert, in the make-up.
- I will get a job at some kind of animal shelter, and I'm going to be damn good at whatever I end up doing there.
I will get at least one old, beat up piece of wood furniture, save it from going to the landfill, and refinish it.I've got another piece to start. :) I'd like to go on an LCAC ride with my husband before he transfers to his new command.I had to cross this one off finally, because Shane left this command already. This bummed me out. I never got a ride on an LCAC out on the bay. Some of his family members did, and even though I offered to take any number of half days off from work, I never got to ride. I will go to see the Booth Trail in 2013. I will go to Natural Bridge, VAand the Shenandoah Valley and stay in a cabin in the woods.
- I will go to Hiddenite Gems, an emerald mine open to the public, in NC.
I will go to the Richmond Zoo and the Virginia Zoo (they have done a lot of remodeling and I haven't been there for a several years).
- I can't drive a clutch and have no desire to learn, but I'd like to go for a ride in a 1957 Chevy BelAire and a mid-80's Lamborghini Countach.
- I'd like to sit in any of the Batmobiles, ECTO-1 from Ghostbusters, KITT from Knight Rider, and the General Lee from The Dukes of Hazzard.
- I will go to the National Zoo in Washington, D.C.
- I want to go to Rhode Island, Boston and Seattle, just for the sake of going.
- I want to go to Tokyo some day.--I've been to Hanoi and Hue, Vietnam, but it wasn't close enough.
- I want to see the pyramids and sphinx in Egypt.
- I'd love to see the Mona Lisa (she's in the Louvre in Paris) and The Scream (there are a couple, two of them are in Munich).
- I want to go to London, and maybe look for the TARDIS and the Doctor.
- I want to go to San Diego to see my best friend, go to Comic Con, wear a costume, take lots of photos, find an awesome looking Spider-Man so I can give him a hug for just being Spidey, and then walk a beach on the Pacific Ocean, looking for shells.
- I'd like to go to a taping of "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" if we ever go to California.
- I want to have at least one great, wildly creative crochet pattern published in a real book somewhere.
- I'd like to have our yard be featured for our Halloween decorations with a local tv station, so people might understand you don't have to spend big bucks on decorations and still put together a great display (I say this because we don't go as crazy for Christmas decorations).
- I'd like to win a challenge on Craftster.
I'd like to compete on Craft Wars on TLC.I had to cross this one off too, because I'm pretty sure it's no longer on the air. I can't find any updated information on it. I will finish the Jedi costume finallyand I will join the Rebel Legion.
- I will finish the doll house I started several years ago.
- I want to go to Ohio and see Ralphie Harper's house from The Christmas Story.
- I want to see Weird Al Yankovic in concert, and maybe even the Bangles if I ever get to California.
I want to see the Barenaked Ladies again, the next time they come to Hampton Roads. I want to take my friends to the Virginia Safari drive through park in Stanton, VA.--Did this in July 2014.