Tuesday, September 9, 2014

So Mad I Could Scream

I've been working on re-painting a couple of gnomes now, off and on, for the better part of two months. The metallic silver Testor's paint I bought isn't fucking drying/curing on the gnomes. I don't know why. The gnomes were clean (one is vinyl, the other is resin), I primed them first...but the silver isn't curing. I've even run an embossing gun over them to speed dry. The silver remains tacky.

So I went online and tried to figure out what's going on. "When paint is not drying on the surface, the most common cause is that the wrong paint was applied. When painting flexible vinyl or rubber, our solvent based enamel will not dry. A water based acrylic paint should be used. Dry time on acrylics is about 15 minutes minutes and enamels are dry to the touch between 30 minutes to 1 hour." I don't know that I believe this. If this were happening ONLY to the vinyl gnome, then yeah, this is true. But it's also happening to the resin gnome. And my vinyl gnome isn't flexible.

It's God damned model car paint. How can paint not dry when it's being painted on over PRIMER??! I've been wasting all this time for nothing. I've just now gone back, painted on a coat of some cheap craft paint in the same color over it and run the embossing gun over it again. It's still tacky.

I'm so pissed. I've been washing silver model car paint off my hands for weeks. I'm taking a shower and going to bed early tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment