Thursday, December 18, 2014

Did a Repaint on Santa

Last year, way back in December of 2013, I was at my local Walgreens, a place I shouldn't be allowed to go into by myself from Oct. 1-Dec. 31. The reason: I buy a lot of holiday shit when I'm left unattended.

Case in point, this indoor Santa statue with working streetlight.

I'd had my eye on this guy for about a week. I don't really know why I was drawn to him, other than I think I have a thing for Santa statues. Seriously, along with this guy, I bought a beach Santa statue and a light up Santa canvas print in one season. I need Santas Anonymous or something.

Anyway, as soon as I decided to buy him, because you know, no one else was decent enough to buy out my Walgreens' inventory of Santa statues for me, I knew I'd have to repaint him. Shit, he was even on sale for half price! I had to bring him home with me!

Once you start looking at him, he starts to look like he has a messy machine paint job, if that makes any sense. All that white trim, white hair and white beard just blobs together. His red suit is flat looking with a messy, dirty looking attempt to create depths in the shadows of the fabric.

After priming him really well, I tried to start out with some nice bright Testor's model car paints again.

No dice.

For some reason, those paints, even after having the containers shook vigorously, went on thin and watery. The color just wasn't there.

Luckily for me, my A.C, Moore was having a sale on the "My Studio" line of craft paints: 2 for $1.00!! It was time to stock up and try something else.



Here is Santa after his paint job. I kept him black, because to me, the white Santa statues just aren't that attractive. They are always PINK, like they've been boiled or something, with bright red noses and cheeks. White Santa's tend to look like they've been slapped.

It's a lot of paint layering here. I did about five coats of red for his suit, because it wasn't coming out even. I originally wanted him to have a burgundy suit with cream trim, but I couldn't find the right shade of paint. When only his suit was painted, it looked extremely RED. However, by making all of his trim cream, it toned down the red and seemed to give it a slight orange tone to it, which I ended up liking.
I am a little disappointed in his face. It seems fairly blank, but I did find out that his right eye has a slight dip to it that was less apparent with his original paint job. I did try at one point to give him rosy cheeks and a pink, chilly nose, but that was really bad looking. Santa looked like he had eczema or some other skin condition. I had to wipe his face clean and start all over again.


I especially like how his base turned out, and I wasn't trying for this effect. After painting two layers of white for the snow's base, I brushed on some white Elmer's glue and then shook on a good layer of glitter (left over from my TARDIS in the snow jar project). I gave it 24 hours to dry and then clear coated it. While the clear was still wet, I shook on more glitter, and then repeated it again in another 24 hours. Then, I gave it one last clear coat. This makes it look like Santa's walking through the ice packed snow.
My Santa is kind of heavy with the brown paint: boots, belt, satchel, teddy bear, hell, even his face. But I didn't want to give him black boots because that light pole is all black. I thought his boots would get lost next to the pole if they were all black. And I broke up the flatness of the belt by giving it bronze trim so it wouldn't get lost with his satchel's strap.

I'm not necessarily a fan of shiny paint jobs, like what Santa has going on here, but since I'm working with just craft paint, I want to protect the finished project as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment