Thursday, July 3, 2014
The former roommate didn't have time to refinish this (the back piece shows some possible water damage) and the polyurethane and stain are somehow flaking off from the top. I've been told by two separate people it's mahogany.
I've been told the machine still works but I realized the cord needs to be replaced, so I haven't plugged it in yet to try it. I got the machine out and the cord off tonight. I'll take it in later on to see if the machine is worth a tune up or anything like that.
Quick shout out to Steve Tetreault, Master Technician, at Sewing Machine Steve. I emailed him to come over and take the machine out for me. I couldn't figure it out on my own and couldn't find any You Tube videos on how to do it. He emailed me instructions on how to do it myself, and he saved me the $75 house call fee (I wasn't going to lug this thing over to his shop). If you have a machine similar to this and need help getting the machine out of the cabinet, the instructions from Steve are below.
"These machines are easy to get out of the cabinet. Simply tilt the machine back and using a medium sized screwdriver (straight blade) loosen the set screws that hold the machine onto the hinge pins. They are located inline with the hinge pins under the rear lip of the machine. A couple of turns should loosen it enough to slide the machine off of the pins. Before doing this make sure that the machine is not plugged into the wall outlet and unplug the wire from the bottom of the motor."
Time to start taking this bad boy apart! I started with the fold out top pieces tonight. They were stripped, cleaned, sanded two times, and cleaned again. Check out the difference below to see the before and after!
Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Sunday, June 29, 2014
I've had this recipe for quite some time (since 2012) and finally dug it out to make it for breakfast this morning. It comes from Hy-Vee, which is a midwest grocery store chain that I have a fondness for, since myself, my husband and my sister all worked there way back in the day.
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp Hy-Vee butter
- 3 Hy-Vee large eggs
- 1 tsp chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme--I did some paprika instead.
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- I had some fresh chopped dill here from a planter outside.
- Hy-Vee salt and Hy-Vee ground black pepper, optional
- Preheat broiler and position rack about 4 inches away from broiler. I realized mine was at 4 inches, but I needed to lower it to about 5 inches. 4 inches was just too close.
- In an individual gratin dish or ramekin, combine heavy cream and butter; set on heavy baking sheet. Broil for 3 minutes or until cream and butter are bubbly. I used two ceramic ramekins from AC Moore.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, crack eggs, leaving yolks intact. Add eggs to hot cream mixture and top with chive, thyme and rosemary. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired. Place back under broiler for 4 to 6 minutes or until whites are cooked but still soft. The eggs will continue to cook once removed from the oven. Allow to rest for 1 minute. Serve hot. I actually had to cook them for about 7 minutes (they weren't done after 6 minutes), give them a little still and then put them back under the broiler for another 5 minutes.
This recipe just needs to be really tweaked before (and if) I make it again. Personally, I think it should be dropped down to 2 eggs, and the butter and heavy cream combo really needs to be lessened. These eggs took on such a buttery, creamy taste that I couldn't finish it. It was extremely rich and I felt like I had the mixture all over my damn lips! This isn't going to be a go-to recipe for us, at least, not the way it is right now.