Saturday, January 24, 2015

Weekend Projects

I've got the house to myself this weekend, and as luck would have it, my cold moved back up into my head again. So all the stuff I wanted to do this weekend probably isn't going to get done. Personally, I'd love to have two working nostrils again, as I lost the use of my left nostril last night about 6 PM.

Instead, I sat on my ass and watched "Noah," with Russell Crowe. The movie is interesting and it portrays Noah as a crazy thug. I've never actually read the Bible, so I don't know how different the movie is from the biblical story.

I did a little last minute sewing for Nicole the Knitter's best friend, Joe. He had some buckwheat pillows (2 store bought and 1 made by someone else) that the linen covers were pretty nasty. Nicole had some muslin and she gave it to me to make new pillow covers for Joe. He said the advantage to buckwheat hull pillows is that they don't hold heat like regular pillows. I didn't like them and I don't think I could sleep on them. It would be like sleeping on a cloth sack full of Cocoa Crispies! Plus, if you get a hole in one of your pillows, you'll have hulls all over the damn place.

The third pillow was bigger than Joe liked and he wanted it divided. When everything was said and done, he actually had 5 pillows instead of 4.

As kind of a tangent here, while I was picking up the pillows and fabric from Joe's house the other day, he and I had a conversation that came out of no where and it made total sense. We were talking about Nicole's cat, Odin, and the total love affair he has for his human Mumma.

Joe looks at me and says, "You know, pets are just animals with Stockholm Syndrome."

I think I was quiet for a second and I replied, "Holy shit, you're right! I never thought about it."

Joe continued. "Think about it. They love their owners and want to please them."

Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with the captors. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness.

Now granted, Cujo, Orion and Odin aren't in any danger from us, so there's no risk to their lives. They are all old enough to know that a lack of abuse from us wouldn't be kindness. Or at least, I like to think they'd know that.

Orion and I learned a little trick together recently. If she's near me, all I have to do is call her and ask if she wants kisses. She'll come running to me and start rubbing her face and head against my mouth so I can give her kisses. Sometimes, she'll look at me and cock her head a certain way and I know she's telling me that she wants kisses. I know that Orion and I, Cujo and I, and Orion and Cujo (but most likely against Cujo's will) have all emotional ties with each other. So year, even minus any violence, I think Joe is right: pets are animals with Stockholm Syndrome.

As much as I love Cujo and Orion, and even Odin, I don't feel bad about the idea of Stockholm Syndrome in pets. I would imagine that going to a new home with new people, speaking a language you might not understand, and with rules you don't yet know....that's got to be extremely scary to an animal. You don't understand them. They don't understand you.  You put your head down and go about your business, just trying to survive, and hope the humans won't hurt you . Things become less scary over time because of familiarity.

But back to today: I also did a little Crock Pot cooking this afternoon. I've been wanting tuna casserole for a little while, and I came across this recipe: Slow Cooker Tuna Casserole.

Don't waste your time with this recipe. Making tuna casserole in a slow cooker isn't worth the work. Just make it on the stove top. You have to stir this recipe every 60 minutes and it doesn't come out as good as it does on the stove.

My plan for the rest of the night to see what else I have on the DV-R, watch some "Ghost Adventures," and work on the Titans blanket and maybe a little painting on a lamp I've been dinking around with.

No comments:

Post a Comment