Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Eyebrow Gate: Day 2

I filled in leftie this morning before leaving for work, and I swear to God, I felt like I had Bert's eyebrows from Sesame Street! I don't know how anyone didn't think to say anything to me today. :)

Note to self: tomorrow, only use eye shadow. Don't use the eyeliner pencil too.

I also managed to get two more hats done tonight. I made another Rafael hat for myself and a Spider-Man hat for Eden. While working on the TMNT hat tonight, I realized something else. That pattern is very forgiving when it comes to sewing straight lines.

For example: say you're not the world's greatest sewing (I'm raising my hand here), and you don't get the earflap piece sewn to the beanie part completely straight. If your sew line is a little wonky, it's alright because you're going to put that mask on straight and it will actually straddle both the entire earflap piece and the beanie part at the same time. It's going to hide your wonky lines.

Obligatory dork shot with me and my own TMNT hat.


The Spider-Man hat is just a variation of the TMNT hat. It obviously doesn't have a mask piece, but the eye pieces are sewn on separately. I purposely went with a more stylized/curvy shape to the eyes here. It just felt like the right thing to do, because it's a little girl that's wearing this hat. If I had been making this for a nephew, I think I would have gone more with a Todd McFarlane shaped eye.

Yes, this is the kind of shit I think about...the shape of Spider-Man's lenses. :) Welcome to my head.

I first sewed the white "lens" to the black felt with my machine, and then I did a series of tiny black hand stitches around the outside of the black to sew it to the red.

For this hat, there's no hiding a wonky sew line if you get it crooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment