Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Got a GREAT Surprise

Every once in a while, I get a wild hair up my butt and decide to email an author whose work I've enjoyed. I did that a couple years ago with Daniel Black, the author of Perfect Peace. I actually got a reply back from him.

I did it again last week. I emailed Judy Blume from her website.

I had been browsing around the books in Amazon and I realized she has been writing adult books! I ordered a few of them and even ordered my favorite book of her's: Starring Sally J. Freeman as Herself. Since I was still kind of on a Judy Blume kick, I figured it was a good time to write her a fan letter. When I was in elementary school, I used to LOVE writing fan letters to celebrities. I hardly ever heard anything back from them, but I didn't care.

Dear Ms. Blume--
I looked for your website so I could somehow contact you. I'm 40 years old and started reading your books when I was in the 3rd grade. I fell in love with your characters immediately. 

A few weeks ago, I saw on Amazon you had a couple "adult" books so I decided it was time to check them out. So far, I've read "Smart Women" and I really enjoyed it, even though it was a complete departure from the books I'd grown up with. :) 

When I ordered your books, I decided to also order "Starring Sally J. Freeman as Herself." That one was ALWAYS my absolute favorite book of yours. It's absolutely timeless, even still today. I think I identified a lot with Sally, and other than being a one time 10 year old girl with an over-active imagination, that was about all I had in common with her. :) 

Thank you for writing such wonderful books. When my niece gets older, I intend to get a Judy Blume collection for her. :)

Guess what...I actually got a reply back!!!! GASP!!!

Hi Amy, 
Thanks so much for your warm message. It means a lot to know how well you remember my books. I just finished writing a new adult book that took me quite a while to get done. (Ugh - writing is hard work!) It's my readers who keep me writing. Where would I be without you? You can follow me on twitter @judyblume, though I'm trying not to tweet too often. It's too good a distraction.
Love,
Judy

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm totally saving the email I got back from her!!!! It made my day!!!

2 comments:

  1. I was absolutely giddy!

    When I got an email back from Daniel Black, I was excited but not as much as I was to get the email from Judy Blume. (He replied to my request for a sequel to Perfect Peace, that he hadn't ruled out writing one.)

    ReplyDelete