Saturday, April 25, 2015

Made Some New Jewelry

When we were packing for our post-Christmas trip to Luray, VA, I went to Harris Teeter to pick up some snacks and drinks for the road. I came across Coca-Cola Life, made with Stevia and in glass bottles...glass bottles, the way Coke is supposed to be drank.

Just because I liked the green labels on the glass, I decided to keep a couple of the bottle caps.

I just finally got around to fixing these up. I laid them face down and filled them with resin. Once the resin had hardened (about 24 hours later), I Super Glued post earring backs to them and turned them into earrings.

Because these weren't twist off caps, if you look closely, you can see the point of the opener when I popped the tops. I thought these were kind of fun, unusual earrings. My mother-in-law's husband worked at a Coke bottling plant for almost 30 years. In her jewelry box, she had a pair of regular red Coke bottle caps that she turned into earrings. She didn't fill the inside of them with resin though. I wanted mine filled with it because it made it so that the earring backs didn't go into the cap as deep, which would have left me with shorter posts.

Since I was already playing around with the resin (difficult stuff to mess around with, but I'm not giving up just yet!), I also made a simple Jedi Order bottle cap necklace. You just have to look past the flash from the camera. This one was part of a package of caps from Michael's, and just about all of them got screwed up. I did find out that the dimensional Mod Podge I used for these projects does not work very well with colored paper, straight out of the printer. It makes the edges bleed, if they are inked. If your edges are plain white paper, they look alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment