- 6 to 8 crabs (I cheated here and used a package of Boudreaux’s Brand Crawfish Tail Meat that I picked up at Harris Teeter.)
- 1 large onion
1 small sweet pepper (optional)
- 1 c. fresh pigeon peas, boiled until tender
- 2 c. rice
- 3 to 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- salt, pepper, paprika and thyme to taste
- I also added in a can of red kidney beans.
Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Crab and Rice Recipe
The cooking continues! The last time I went to the grocery store, I picked up some stuff for a jambalaya-type dish. The closest recipe I found online was Crab and Rice.
This was pretty good. The crawfish had a strong (almost gamy) taste to them, almost like they were freshly plucked from seawater. By cooking it in the pureed tomato paste with everything else, it tamed the taste down considerably, which I thought was a good thing. Just right out of the package, it was a little too strong for my liking, even though it's sold already cooked.