Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Crab and Rice Recipe

The cooking continues! The last time I went to the grocery store, I picked up some stuff for a jambalaya-type dish. The closest recipe I found online was Crab and Rice.
  • 6 to 8 crabs (I cheated here and used a package of Boudreaux’s Brand Crawfish Tail Meat that I picked up at Harris Teeter.)
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 small sweet pepper (optional)
  • 1 c. fresh pigeon peas, boiled until tender
  • 2 c. rice
  • 3 to 4 tbsp. tomato paste
  • salt, pepper, paprika and thyme to taste
  • I also added in a can of red kidney beans.
First wash crab; remove biters and put aside. Separate crab bodies from backs; scoop out crab fat into bowl. Break bodies into sections; beat bodies and biters with coach beater. Set aside. Peel and chop onion and sweet pepper; fry until tender (I fried mine for about five minutes in butter). Stir in tomato paste, crab fat and seasonings. Simmer 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of water. Bring to boil and add peas and crab. Bring to boil. Boil 5 minutes. Add rice and bring back to boil. Turn to simmer and cover pot until water is almost gone. Cook on low until rice is tender.

This was pretty good. The crawfish had a strong (almost gamy) taste to them, almost like they were freshly plucked from seawater. By cooking it in the pureed tomato paste with everything else, it tamed the taste down considerably, which  I thought was a good thing. Just right out of the package, it was a little too strong for my liking, even though it's sold already cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment