Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Time For A Writing Assignment

While lurking around the internet today, I checked out Catster and saw this article: “We Talk to Janiss Garza About Her Book ‘Rescued,’ Written From the Perspective of Cats.” I decided to write Orion’s story, from her perspective, and the timing is appropriate  because her second birthday (her first birthday since we got her) was just a few days ago. And it's been awhile since I've given myself a writing assignment.

This Is Orion’s Story.

I don’t remember much about my early days. What I do remember was hard: having an empty tummy, being hungry and scared, and being unprotected. When my brothers and sisters ( I don’t even remember how many of us there were) and I were found outdoors by the humans, our mama was gone and we were starving and malnourished. The humans took us in and made us safe. They fed us and my tummy stopped being empty. Where we lived was safe and warm. There were toys and other cats like us. I was named Pippa.

One by one, over the course of a year, all of my brothers and sisters disappeared. That was scary, because I was the last one left, even though I was still safe. But the humans all said it was wonderful for them, because they were “adopted” and were going to new homes with their new families. I didn’t know why I wasn’t going “home” with any of them, but I stayed there, for little over a year. I figured this was my home. The humans thought I was too shy but that the right "family" would come along for me eventually.

But one day, all of us cats, and some of the dogs, had our cages loaded up into vehicles and we rode all the way from North Carolina to a place called Virginia. The ride was so scary. I don’t ever remember riding in a vehicle before, and I didn’t know where we were going or what would happen to us when we got there. I tried to be a big brave girl but I still cried, just like some of the other cats.

We were all taken into a large building and our cages were set up on tables. The building smelled so interesting. There were other cats there, and fun little birds and rodents, and even fish there! New humans started coming up to our cages and looking at us. Most of the other cats were still scared. Some of them hid under their beds so they couldn’t be seen. The others hissed. (Those cats had harder lives than I did. They knew bad humans, but I hadn’t met that kind yet.) I heard some of our humans talking about “adoption” so I figured out these new humans might take some of us home! This was not a time to be scared; this was a time to be brave and friendly!

After a few hours, a nice man with a big nice doggie came past my cage and stopped. I jumped up from my bed and stuck my paw out of the cage, trying to get the dog’s attention. I didn’t know any other way, because I didn’t really know how to talk to dogs. I tried to pet the doggie and he thought it was strange, but the man laughed. The doggie was friendly and I knew right away I wanted to live with him and his human.

A nice woman came over to the man and doggie. She petted the doggie’s head and played with me through the bars of my cage. Then one of our humans came over, talked to them, and took me out of my cage. She let me and the doggie meet nose to nose. We played a little bit, and then the new woman got to hold me. She snuggled me against her chest and kissed my head. The man even rubbed my tummy.

It was decided they would be my new people and I’d go home with them. I was “adopted!” The humans that had been taking care of me all came over, gave me hugs and said good-bye. Then they put me into a cardboard box to keep me safe. I could see through the holes in it, so this time, when we rode in their vehicle to go to my new “home,” I wasn’t afraid and I didn’t cry. After riding for a few minutes, my new people opened up the box and I started to see the world was a lot bigger than I ever imagined! There were lots of other vehicles driving with us, and I saw the sky and all the trees.

We made a little stop on the way “home,” so the man could get drinks and lunch. I stayed in the vehicle with the woman. She talked nice to me. She talked about the house we were going to, the car we were in, even my box. I liked all this because she was gentle and quiet. While she was petting me, I stood up on my back legs and gave her a little brush on her cheek with my cheek. I wanted to mark this woman as being mine, just in case we got separated or there were other cats where I was going. I think she must have liked this, because she hugged me and cried but she seemed happy.

When we got to my new home, I thought it was so big! I had a room all to myself with windows that were open. They were big enough I could sit on the sills and watch the outside world. (This is where I learned about the birds and squirrels. They’re so much fun to watch. I get excited and start chattering at them.) I had a nice litter box, food and water bowls, toys, and scratching posts all for myself. There was even furniture that I could sit on and the humans thought that was cute. Sometimes, I’d see another cat behind the glass on the vanity in there. She was so pretty but she never came out from behind the glass when I tried to play with her. The woman said that I must be a real “girly girl”, because I was always sitting in front of the mirror, watching myself.

The new humans were gone during the day, and I could hear the doggie outside the door. Sometimes he’d be walking around, sometimes he’d play by himself, and sometimes, he’d kick the wall while he was sleeping and dreaming. The new people would come home and play with me in the evening. Sometimes I’d get a little worried because they were still new and there were no familiar smells here. The woman would hug and snuggle me, but she wouldn’t get upset when I would hide my face against her chest. She’d rub my tummy and always knew if I was scared, because I’d clench my tummy up tight.

After a week, the humans opened up the door and said it was time for me to have full run of the house. That was so exciting! When I came out of my room, I saw the doggie again and I ran right up to him. I tried to hug him (Amy, the woman, said he’s my big brother now). And I realized there was more stuff to see! There was more room, more toys and more furniture to play on, and even more windows to see the outside world. (I like looking at the outside world but I don’t want to go out there. There are large things that fly in the sky above our house that are nosy and sometimes scary when they’re close, and I run away to hide when they are coming in. Amy said I’m not allowed to go outside anyway, because that’s only for the doggie.) She showed me where my food, water and litter box would be. I realized there was even another room upstairs the woman spends time in when she sews! I like to sleep on the futon when she’s in there, next to her sewing machine. The doggie doesn’t come up there so she needs someone to keep her company.

Now, I’ve been home with them for almost a year. I like it here. I don’t hide my face anymore when they pick me up. I don’t clench my tummy up when they rub it (and I really do like my belly rubs. I roll over for those specifically). I get treats in the morning when Amy goes to work, and my food and water bowls are always full. I’ve even gained a pound since I got here. She knows I can’t have an empty, hurty tummy ever again.

There’s so much room to run here! I can run so fast and leap up onto the furniture or in the windows. I don’t live in a cage here. Since I like being here, I rub my cheeks all over all of the edges in the house, along with my woman’s face, every day, and she gives me lots of kisses. In fact, I even taught her a little trick. When I start bobbing my head at her, that means I need kisses. She comes over to me and starts kissing the top of my head and my cheeks.

The man is good too. He picks me up and holds me so our foreheads press together. He hangs swingy toys in the doorway for me to bat around, and even controls a little red bug light for me to play with. It’s so much fun! I run around the house with the doggie and we chase it together. He tells me I’m a good kitty when I talk to him. I like to nap on the end of his recliner when he’s home in the evening and we all watch TV and keep each other company.

And my big brother? Oh, I love him so much! He’s my favorite! He doesn’t mind when I play with his big bushy tail or his toys, or when I eat his food with him. I showed him my tummy the first night I was out of the room, and he knows I am subservient to him. He’s older than me and he’s been here longer, so I know he’s in charge. I just wish he’d let me snuggle with him on the couch. He walks away when I try to do that.


I don’t think about the shelter much anymore, or even my original brothers and sisters. I figure they probably got good humans taking care of them, like I do. I’m not afraid anything here. I like being here and  I’m glad these people came along and picked me to be a part of their family. There’s so much to do and see here. And even though Amy isn’t a cat, she does a good job of taking care of me like my mama tried to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment