Saturday, May 23, 2015

Two More New Recipes

With this long weekend, it's my intention to do some cooking. I feel like it's been awhile since I've really done any, so here are the next two recipes I've tried since the Ice Cream Bread (which went over very well at work).

Crock Pot Apple Butter
  • 11 apples -- I don't think the number here is so important. Just plan on filling your crock with apple wedges, because it will cook down to about half.
  • 1⁄2 cup water -- You really won't need more than this. If you feel like you're going to need more, add it sparingly. You probably won't need it.
  • 1⁄2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
  • I added in a good shake of nutmeg, because I had some here.
Wash and quarter apples. Place in 3 1/2 to 4 quart crock pot. Add all other ingredients. Cook on low all day.

I let this cook for about 14 hours on low (mostly because I was gone this morning). I did realize when it was all done, I needed to run it through the blender to puree it. After that, it poured out just perfectly and when the containers are totally cool, I'm going to put them in the freezer. I have 6 containers of various sizes, and 2 of them are going to friends.

Easy Creamy Avocado and Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
  • 3 medium tomatillos
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
  • ½ small onion, coarsely chopped
  • ½ teaspoon jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup sour cream
  • 1 ripe avocado, peeled and chunked
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
  • Olive oil
  1. Husk the tomatillos and rinse.
  2. Place them in a small pan and cover with water. -- I drizzled them with the olive oil and roasted them at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. The skin just started to turn a little roasted-black.
  3. Boil them for 3 to 4 minutes, until they become tender.
  4. Set them aside to cool to room temperature.
  5. Place tomatillos, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
  6. Add the sour cream, avocado chunks, and a drizzle of olive oil. Process until combine.
  7. Serve as a dip or condiment.
The tomatillos and onions smelled so fantastic when they were roasting. When done, I poured everything from the pan into the blender, pureed it, and then added the rest of the ingredients and mixed those by hand in a bowl. I took a container of this over to the neighbor's house today for a BBQ there and it's really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment