Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Worked a Little on The Vanity

Several years ago, I picked up an art deco vanity from Bill's FX, a former flea market in an old electronics store building in Virginia Beach. It caught on fire and burned beyond repair shortly after I got the vanity.

Over the years, I've noticed the wood veneer was starting to look and feel extremely dry. I don't think it ever had a clear stain put on it. I know I might not be able to keep this thing forever, but I want to try and protect the wood the  best I can.

Since I still had some from the sewing machine project, I decided to take the vanity apart and give it a good coat of polyurethane on it. I started it on Monday night and finished it tonight.

It's a little blurry, but you can see the poly on the middle section, compared to the unpoly'ed left and right sides. It's a huge difference, and I only did one coat of poly. The two pieces sticking up in the back are the supports for the mirror.

Before (on the left side) and after (on the right side) the poly. Again, this is just one coat.
Now unfortunately, I'm feeling froggy to try and fix up the armoire that I have (also art deco). Even though I spent more on the vanity, I absolutely love the armoire and I'm afraid I'll mess it up somehow, because that actually has more damage to the veneer.


No comments:

Post a Comment