Saturday, June 6, 2015

Butter Baked Cabbage Slabs

I'm not a vegetarian but I can get down with the veg. Just recently, I stumbled across this vegetarian recipe from Karen Nichols' blog, in Michigan: Butter Baked and Broiled Cabbage Slabs.

Oh dear God, taste so good, make you wanna slap yo'mama! Here is Karen's recipe (who is, of course, a vegetarian) with some changes from moi.
  • Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
  • Your cabbage: I cut mine into 1/2 inch slabs. I like my cabbage "al dente"..not slimy and flaccid. (giggle)
  • Prepare your cookie sheet by brushing it with some olive oil. give it a good coat. (I forgot the olive oil last night and went straight for the butter.)
  • Now. lay down your cabbage slabs and just smear the heck out of them with REAL, salted BUTTER. OH yeah, baby....I said it. BUTTER. It's good for you. Get that butter all over the place. Grind some sea salt and some fresh peppercorns on top of that. OH MY GOSH. (I sprinkled on some powdered garlic.)
  • NOW we COOK! 
  • Put. It. In. The. Oven. Now set your timer for 20 minutes, but check at about 15 minutes. When the bottoms are becoming brown and the cabbage is turning translucent, flip 'em...let them bake for 15 more minutes. (I did mine for only 15 minutes on each side.)
  • Now turn your oven to broil and give them a nice brown. The tops will caramelize with the butter and THAT'S what we're looking for. My oven took about 7 minutes, yours might take more or less time, so keep your eye on it. (I tried making this once before but my oven has such a ferocious broiler in it, that even on low, my cabbage slabs turned into black charcoal briquette-things. I just didn't broil them when I tried it this second time and they turned out pretty dreamy.)
  • You're almost done. You can eat this as is and its delicious. If you're a carnivore, add some bacon bits. I love to serve mine with some good marinara, and a sprinkling of parmesan....whatever you decide, I promise, that caramelized cabbage, butter and salt and pepper is absolutely to die for.

No comments:

Post a Comment