Thursday, June 11, 2015

Chicken Stuffed With Spinach, Tomato and Mozzerella

Every once in a while, our local paper runs a column called "Everyday Chef," where regular people are interviewed and their recipes shared. I tried getting Michelle the Cook interviewed a few years ago for it, but right after that, the column went on hiatus for awhile.

This recipe is from that article, which was published on March 28, 2012. No, really, you read that right. I've been hanging onto this recipe since then. Can you say electronic pack rat?

I made this last night, but with one exception: I didn't stuff the chicken breasts, because the one time I did something like that, I had stuff falling off the walls in my kitchen and I broke part of my stove top. Cooking with me is not just an adventure. It's a cry for help some nights. Instead, I used the stuffing ingredients as a topping for the chicken.

This is what I made for supper last night, and even the leftovers today for lunch were just a touch better. The topping ingredients had time to really mix together very well (think like good lasagna the next day...you know how it tastes different as leftovers? That's what this dish did), and the spinach held up nicely for another day of meals.

Chicken Stuffed With Spinach, Tomato and Mozzerella

Makes: 6 servings

  • 8 ounces of cherry tomatoes
  • 3 to 5 ounces of fresh spinach
  • 2 tablespoons capers (I love capers! Drain these suckers and go heavy with them!)
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon truffle oil (I don't even know what the hell this is!)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, butterflied
  • One 8-ounce ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced (Given my poor culinary planning, I forgot to take this out of the freezer so I had to substitute white cheddar)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese  (Left this out because I felt like it wasn't needed)
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut cherry tomatoes in half and place in a bowl. Add spinach, capers, salt, pepper, garlic, truffle oil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, thyme and basil. Mix together.

Divide mixture into six equal parts – or however many chicken breasts you are stuffing.

Stuff each breast with one slice of mozzarella and one portion of the tomato-and-spinach mixture. Place breasts in baking pan.

In a bowl, beat two eggs, then pour evenly over stuffed breasts. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top, and place one tablespoon of butter on each breast.

Bake for 40 minutes, then remove from oven and sprinkle dish with grated mozzarella. Return to oven and bake until cheese is brown, about 10 to 20 minutes more.

This was so good! It's definitely a keeper recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment