Sunday, June 7, 2015

Overnight Blueberry French Toast

Since I believe in full transparency here, I have to tell you that while I did make this for breakfast this morning, I did not start it last night as the recipe calls for...that's because my happy ass was at the BILLY JOEL CONCERT last night in VIRGINIA BEACH!

So yeah, I'll have a post on that shortly, but because this is a faster post and I'm still riding the aural high that was the two hour long eargasm, we'll talk about French toast instead.

First of all, this was not as good as I hoped it would be, but my husband liked it and I think he liked it more than I did.

French Toast
  • 3/4 loaf of French bread: This seems like a LOT of bread to use, so instead I used 5 slices of a good oatnut bread instead. 
  • 3/4 brick of lite cream cheese, cut into small cubes
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cups milk
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup

Grease a 2 quart casserole dish. Cut bread into 1 inch cubes. Place half the bread cubes in casserole dish. Sprinkle with cream cheese and blueberries. Top with remaining bread cubes.

In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk and syrup. Pour over the bread mixture in the casserole dish. Press down on bread to make sure that the egg mixture is distributed throughout the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.

Take out of refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap from casserole and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and center is set. Let sit for 5 – 10 minutes prior to serving.

I was disappointed at this point because the creak cheese, while it was already softened, didn't melt into the egg/milk mixture at all. I don't think the outcome would have been any different if I had started it the night before.

Blueberry Syrup
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 tsp butter
In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 3 minutes while stirring constantly. Add blueberries and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until blueberries burst. Stir in butter until melted. Serve with french toast above.

Yeah, hell no...I got a bottle of a wonderfully delicious boysenberry syrup, mixed in a half bag of frozen and thawed mixed berries and let them cook together on medium heat for about 10 minutes. When finished, I used a potato masher to manually crush the strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. The teeny tiny little blueberries were still intact somehow, but that lent a nice texture to the syrup I thought.

Overall thoughts on this recipe: too much work, stick to regular French toast on the stove when you want that. Or go to IHOP. This just wasn't worth the work to me but the house smelled fantastic this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment