Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Jake the Dog Amigurumi Keychain

For about two years now, I've had a pattern bookmarked from Mia's Atelier and I finally got around to making it tonight: a key chain of Jake the Dog from "Adventure Time."

This is my little Jake here. Since I wasn't able to make mine the way Mia mad her's, I had to improvise a little bit. The link above is to her pattern. My notes are here.

There's nothing wrong with Mia's pattern. It's just that I don't have as small of crochet hooks as she does.

How I made my Jake:
I used an E sized hook for everything. (when I did have those tiny hooks, trying to use them just about killed my hand.) You'll also want to use a stitch marker for Jake's body. Unless otherwise indicated, I used one strand of yarn at a time.

Pattern:
Body:
Row 1: 6 sc in magic ring--If you don't know how to do the magic ring, it's super easy and you can find directions for it here.
Row 2: Work the remaining body in rounds from here on out. 2 sc in each stitch Round 3: sc, inc 
Rows 4-15: sc in each sc--I made my Jake a little longer than the original pattern. After the body is stuffed and stitched shut, you can always give him a little squeeze or two to readjust his shape and the filling density.
Row 11: sc, dec --Start stuffing the body. Because it uses such a small amount of filling, I just stuffed him with the same yellow yarn I used to make him. The nice thing about this version of stuffing: the inside of the body will be super stringy with will be good when you are attaching (and knotting ends) his appendages. I didn't need any glue here.
Row 12: dec
Secure with a slip stitch and finish off.

Mouth:
I used two lengths of yellow yarn at one time. If I had been making a larger Jake, then I would have loved to make the mouth the way that Mia made it: as a yarny tube. Awesome idea!
Row 1: Chain 8.
Row 2: Turn and starting in the second chain from the hook, work 1 sc in each stitch. Fasten off yarn with a slip stitch and leave a long tail for sewing.

Ears:
I used two lengths of yellow yarn at one time.
Row 1: ch 3, sc 2 (2)
Finish off and leave a long tail for sewing. When you sew them on, attach them so they hang down, like floppy ears.

Hands and arms:
I used two lengths of yellow yarn at one time.
Row 1: Chain 8.
Row 2: Working in the second chain from the hook, work the following: 1 sc, 1 slip stitch, 1 sc, secure the yarn with a slip stitch, and then fasten off the yarn.
Finish off. Leave a long tail, which will be his arm and it will be used to sew it to the body. For the lengths left over in his hand, separate the yarn and weave them individually through his paw.

Feet and legs:
Row 1: Leave a long tail and chain 9.
Row 2: Working in the second chain from the hook, work the following: 1 sc, 1 slip stitch, 1 sc, secure the yarn with a slip stitch, and then fasten off the yarn. Leave a long tail, which will be his arm and it will be used to sew it to the body. For the lengths left over in his paw, separate the yarn and weave them individually through the center of his foot and leg, in order to make a 90 degrees angle.

Tail:
Row 1: ch 4

Row 2: Working in the second chain from the hook, work 1 sc in each stitch across.  Finish off and leave a long tail for sewing. When you attach Jake's tail, sew it to his rump vertically, so you can put each strand through a separate stitch hole.

Then just follow Mia's directions for putting Jake together. I used white felt sewn onto black felt for his eyes, because I didn't want to be heavy handed with white paint and I knew that's what would happen.

I made mini-Jake to hang from the zipper on a backpack I keep in my scooter. Yeah, because a 41 year old woman on a scooter isn't odd enough, she needs a mini yellow bull dog! The funny thing about this ami is that his arms and legs get all wonky because they are just short chains of yarn, which makes him look more like his cartoon version.

BTW, because of Mia's pattern for Jake, I've started writing a pattern of my own for Cake! It should be up in a few days. I'm excited about it because it's been a while since I wrote an entire pattern.


No comments:

Post a Comment