Saturday, July 25, 2015

Slow Cooker Pineapple Glazed Ham

Again, without looking for them, I came across a treasure trove of slow cooker recipes.

While I didn't take note of the original site, each recipe was marked with the site it originated from. This recipe, Slow Cooker Pineapple Glazed Ham, supposedly originated from Sixsistersstuff. I say supposedly not to be snarky, but when I went there tonight to direct link to it, I couldn't find it on their site.

Anyway, here it is:

  • 4 thick pieces of boneless ham, fully cooked
  • 1/3 c brown sugar
  • 20 oz crushed pineapple, not drained
  • 2 T Dijon mustard (optional)--I didn't have Dijon but I did substitute a healthy squirt of regular yellow mustard. It was probably only 1 T though.
Mix ingredients together and cook on high for three hours, or low for 5-6 hours. Since my slow cooker is a handful of years old, it cooks everything fairly quickly and on too high a temperature. I've realized that for a recipe like this (where your meat or main ingredient should already be cooked), I can use the "keep warm" setting on my slow cooker. It basically cooks for you on a lower low setting, so I had this going today for about 7-8 hours.

Full disclosure here: I don't really like ham or pineapple. But I did like the end results of this recipe. I was looking for something easy to make, and something in which I already had all the ingredients. After having company for about 2 1/2 weeks, I wasn't about to hit the grocery store again. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I think this is actually going to be a keeper recipe, to be made again at another time. If you make a ham for a big dinner, something spiral cut and you've got leftovers, this could be a good recipe to dig out when you're looking for another way to prepare the leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment