Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Homemade Turkey Pot Pie Caserole

Last night, I felt the need for turkey pot pie, so I thawed out the turkey I had made while my father-in-law and nephew were visiting. I actually couldn't find the recipe I was looking for, and I was feeling too lazy to look it up online, so I improvised a recipe I already had.

By the way, this ended up being a pretty sizable amount of pot pie, so keep that that in mind. :) I've got leftovers for lunches!

  • 1 1/2-2 lbs of cooked diced or shredded turkey
  • 1/4 cup of diced raw onion
  • 1/2 bag of frozen peas 
  • 1/2 bag of frozen corn
  • 1 1/2-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 2 cups of Hungry Jack Waffle & Pancake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 can of cream of celery soup
  • Whatever salt or pepper you want
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray your cooking dish with spray olive oil. Mix the turkey, onion, peas and corn in the dish (you might want to consider using two dishes if you make this much, it's what I needed to do). Liberally cover the top of that mixture with your shredded cheese. Mix the Hungry Jack mix, eggs, milk, and soup well, and then pout that over the top of the cheese. Make sure it's covered completely.

Cook for 1 hour on the middle rack. That top "crust" should start to turn golden brown. After an hour, take it out and give it a poke with a toothpick. If you need additional time for that crust to bake, cover it with foil and let it go for another 10 minutes. 

Once you dig into it, you'll notice the inside is a little more like a casserole than a true pot pie with gravy on the inside. 

I enjoyed this quite a bit, and actually, so did my husband. He went back for seconds last night. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment