Monday, August 3, 2015

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak

It's kind of weird to me that someone will post a recipe on their site that came from somewhere else, but the original site takes it down for whatever reason. Like with the pineapple glazed ham recipe I posted recently, this Slow Cooker Pepper Steak came from some unknown site (I printed it out) but supposedly inks back to Ring Around The Rosies. I looked for it tonight at Rosies and couldn't find it. 

Who deletes perfectly good recipes from their own site? People, please! There are an abundance of really good cooks out there! Continue to share those recipes and how you make your dishes. The internet is our word of mouth. 

Anyhoo, I'm off my soapbox and here's tonight's dish: Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
  • 2 lbs of beef round steak (sliced against the grain)--I actually had a package of thinly sliced ground beef that I originally bought for hot sandwiches. When I came across this recipe, I knew I had the perfect meat for it. (That's what she said. Sorry.)
  • 2 pink cherry tomatoes or 2 cans crushed tomatoes--I used stewed tomatoes and didn't drain them. It was a good choice.
  • 2 green peppers, sliced--Had to leave these out, unfortunately. My husband doesn't like green peppers.
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 onion, sliced--Half an onion was enough for me.
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tsp ground ginger--I left this out too, because I don't care much for ginger.
Cook on low for 5-6 hours, and serve over buttered rice.

BOOM! Instead of a mic drop, drop the ladle.

So this is where the changes I made really take place. I didn't use the slow cooker. For today, the slow cooker would have been left on too long. Sure, I could have put it on warm and let it go all day, but we are talking about cooking shaved beef and there wasn't a need to slow cook it, in any form.

I combined everything into my large pot, threw it on the stove and let it cook on low. Once it finally came to a nice low rolling boil, I actually turned the heat up to almost medium. I wanted to make sure the beef really did cook thoroughly. I think I may have let it go for 20 minutes, if not longer.

When it was done, I served it over a long grain and white rice mixture. No buttered rice here for. That just sounds slightly slimy going down the gullet.

This was a fantastic recipe and it made the kitchen smell so good! Even my husband was going on about this one. It's a definite keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment