Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Nightmare Before Christmas Necklace

The Halloween gods and goddesses have smiled upon me (but maybe not on my bank account)! A Spirit Halloween store has opened up down the road from me. I even started following them on Twitter...they're posting coupons there!!!

So as I was strolling around in there on Sunday, I saw a Nightmare Before Christmas necklace, in with the Jack and Sally costumes. I think it was going for $7.99.

I thought abut buying it, but I just didn't like the collar. I don't know, it just felt...understated? It didn't feel like Jack to me.

Don't judge me...Nightmare Before Christmas remains my favorite Christmas movie, and I love it for Halloween decorating too.

The more I thought about it that night, the more I thought there has to be a better version online. I couldn't find one like this but I found a lot without the collar and just the bow tie bat. And then inspiration struck me...I could just make my own!

Duh! This is how some of my projects start out: I want...and then I can't find exactly what I want so I decide to make my own.

I had everything I needed to get started, except for large enough jump rings, which I picked up today on my lunch break from Michael's.


I rolled out some Super Sculpty to about 1/4" thick and cut out the shape of the bow tie. I poked two holes in the top (I wish now I had gone a little further apart with the holes). I sculpted a very simple bat head and did the ears as separate pieces. I smoothed the head and ears together into one piece on the back. I actually used the end of a small nail to trace out the shape of the eyes, gave the ears a little bend forward, and then baked everything.

Once the clay was baked (275 degrees for 10-15 minutes, whatever was on the Sculpty label), I started painting it. I put on 2 coats of regular craft paint for the black, 2 coats of regular craft paint in white for the eyes, white fabric paint in a squeeze tube for the pinstriping, and a little bit of glow in the dark white fabric squeeze paint over the eyes and along some of the pinstriping. Once the painting was done, I used some on the front of the bowtie to affix the bat head.

The pendant is 7" x 3" and is actually quite lightweight. I can't wait to wear it!

And just to add to my love of NBC, I'd like to show off these two. They each came from Walgreens. I bought Jack about three years ago, and over the weekend, I just found Sally! (I also bought the correlating statues from Walgreens too...I might have a Halloween problem).

But here's the thing...you know how I can't leave well enough alone when it comes to decorations, right? I finally decided I needed to do some "work" on Jack.

Earlier this evening, I opened up a seam on his front and one on his rump and actually started stuffing him. Originally, Jack's legs and torso were unstuffed and floppy. I always kind of hated that. And when I saw that Sally had stuffed legs, I realized Jack needed them too.

1 comment:

  1. The Nightmare Before Christmas is my daughters favorite movie of all time! She actually has a tattoo of Jack and Sally. I will have to snap a pic of it for you. Walgreens is a great place for Jack items too!

    ReplyDelete