Monday, October 12, 2015

My Crafting Mojo's Been a Little Off Lately

My crafting mojo seems to have been a little lacking lately.

I bought some nice quality white fleece to make myself a stormtrooper hat, and two tries later, it was like I was sewing with someone else's hands. I've tried twice to make myself a clay baby Groot, and a couple times to make myself some Jack Skellington earrings and another necklace. All of those projects=no dice.

I've been feeling both a little overwhelmed lately (temporary stress at work and too many projects going on here) and a little underwhelmed lately too. The freelance writing isn't going over as big as I had hoped. I even reached out to both of the local cons for next year and told them I'd volunteer to do pre-show publicity for them if they wanted. Didn't hear anything back. I signed up to be a zombie at a local 5K and two days before the run, a group email went out that said if you signed up to be a zombie, you'd be doing something else. I'm still waiting to hear back from the Virginia Film Commission about the annual screenwriting competition (winners will be announced this month), and I haven't heard anything back from the webseries that I cold pitched an episode to that I wrote. I was asked for a two page synopsis and then promptly blown off. Or at least, that's the way it feels to me.

So I'm bitching for the sake of bitching. Although last night, I settled my ass down and got some Christmas crafting done. I made a Finn hat from "Adventure Time" with this pattern for my sister's daughter and really loved how it turned out. It's the first time I've ever made a lined hat and it was really worth it. I'm not going to bother posting a picture, because the one I made looks just like the pictures=SUCCESS.

I also got a little further with my Halloween costume. I got the patches sewn on the uniform, picked up a pair of elbow pads, got a belt (which I might just keep for everyday use and go buy a better one from the local surplus store), and fixed my problem with attaching the hose to the proton pack. This had been a huge problem. No amount of epoxy or glue would get that damn hose to attach.

I used an ice pick to poke 5-6 holes in the proton pack end of the hose. I then sewed through those holes and attached it to the back of the backpack that I epoxied the proton piece to. I found a small corner of the backpack that was not secured with epoxy and used that to my advantage.

Still haven't been able to find a suitable bumper for the pack though, so I think I'm going to just ignore that piece. I've tried both wood and plastic, but neither have worked out.

Then I finished the final two KISS gnomes for my aunt-in-law and uncle-in-law. They're brother and sister, and my husband thought they'd each like a KISS gnome.



Add caption



I like how this little Gene Gnome has kind of a crazy look on his little face. He pretty much looked like that before I started, though.

The last thing I started is pretty much on standby until next payday rolls around. I ordered a male mannequin on eBay yesterday and will turn him into a static Freddy Krueger for my yard for Halloween. I have the mask, hat and glove. The pants and shoes will come from the local thrift store, and his sweater will come from Amazon.

If he turns out good enough, I think it will be time to get a new body for my Michael Meyers, and maybe even get a female one to make the Bride of Frankenstein finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment