Monday, January 18, 2016

I Wanted To See The Universe, So I Made a TARDIS and I Ran Away.

Well over a year ago, while doing some Christmas shopping for the 2014 season, we ended up at a store called At Home. There was a lot of interesting things there but I didn't end up buying anything. However, they did have two different sized TARDIS cabinets that I realllllllllly wanted. (They don't show them on their website so, I don't know if they still carry them in store.)

I talked myself out of either of them, because I need more furniture like I need a hole in the head. But the thought of those lovely blue cabinets never left me. Fast forward to about a one month ago. I decided it was time to transform a small cabinet I already had into a version of the TARDIS. (This whole refinishing furniture really caught me hard, didn't it?)

I spent about $28.50 on this refinish.

This is what I started with. I don't believe this is solid wood, but rather some kind of compressed sawdust kind of thing, mixed with something else. It doesn't feel like pure wood. I've had it since probably 2005, if not longer. It was something my mom bought for me at Hancock Fabrics. I always thought it was fairly homely but it's function was too good. It's been where I've stashed my paints and PS2 games in the past.

Primed, on Christmas Eve. I already had the primer. Because I hoard spray paint like that.


About 1 1/2 cans of this (from my local hardware store), for a cabinet about 2 1/2 feet tall, both inside and out. I wanted very even coverage.

Sorry for the potato here. I removed the top (unneeded) drawer pull and filled the hole with wood filler. I found the windows, St. John's ambulance, police box sign and public sign on various websites, printed them to fit, and then decoupaged them on with some Modge Podge. The window trim is actually automobile pin-striping tape from Pep Boys.

I liked how the front door of the cabinet had that faux trim and recessed area on it, so I tried to recreate a version of it on the sides. these are $1 wood frames from AC Moore, with thin wood trim, from Michael's, mitered and added to the sides.

I also tried my hand at some distressing/weathering painting all around the TARDIS. I bought some craft paint in lighter and darker shades of blue. My TARDIS is well-traveled. It's been through a lot.
I thought about adding some simple Home Depot stock furniture legs to it, to raise it up a little bit and give it more of a weight in my room, but I decided against it. I thought it would take away from that perfect "base" it already sits on.

I was going to take this outside on Sunday to start spraying on the polyurethane, but Mother Nature decided to make it snow and rain here instead. Right now, it's about 28 degrees outside (with the windchill, it's about 20 degrees).

I really wanted to get this finished, because I busted my hump on it on Saturday night to finish the detail work. So, since this is going upstairs in my finished crafting room, I hauled it upstairs to the unfinished attic room we have here. It has electricity for light, but no heat, exposed rafters and unfinished wood plank floors. That is my new spray painting room! As long as I keep the paint away from the stuff I'm actually storing up there, who cares what the floor looks like! :) I'll do another coat on it tomorrow morning, and maybe a third one in the evening, and I'll call it done so it can dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment