Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Black Bean Salmon/5 Recipes Down

Tonight's installment of "Cooking With Sam" is the Black Bean Salmon from Just A Bunch Of Recipes. I also made some (microwave) steamed cauliflower and a little bit of left over kernel corn.

Here is a version (longer and more drawn out) of the recipe.

You'll have to excuse the briefness of tonight's entry. I just worked a week straight at our local trade show and I'm still wiped out, even with Monday being a short day.

My husband really liked this recipe. He was dinking around on his computer when I was finishing up, so I just went ahead and got our plates ready. He's usually up for being my culinary guinea pig, so when he walked into the kitchen and saw the plates, he asked if this was another Sam night.


What did I learn from this recipe?
I learned that my local Kroger doesn't carry black bean and garlic sauce, so I had to improvise a little. I took about 1/3 of a can of black beans (mostly drained) and some powdered garlic, pulsed them briefly in my Magic Bullet mixer, and that seemed to do the trick. When I mixed in the apricot preserves, I just hand mixed that into the black beans with a spoon, because I didn't want to blend away the apricot chunks.

It got me a little out of my taste comfort zone, because it includes scallions, which I'm not really a fan of. However, it worked really well with this recipe.

Plus, I think I learned that the sesame seeds added at the end are more for texture (garnish) than for taste. And despite there not being a lot of taste in them, I liked the addition of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment