Sunday, February 14, 2016

Chicken Breasts Stuffed With Goat Cheese & Sun Dried Tomato Pesto / 4 Recipes Down

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! Because of an early morning for my husband at work tomorrow, we stayed in tonight and I cooked for us. Tonight's offering from Sam the Cooking Guy was Chicken Breasts Stuffed With Goat Cheese & Sun Dried Tomato Pesto, from Just a Bunch of Recipes. I paired this with toasted pine nut couscous (from a box) and sauteed mushrooms in olive oil.

Oooh, talk about your fancy shit right there! :)

This version of the recipe was over at Food.com. It's a little different from Sam's but it's a good starting point if you want to make it without buying his book, because as I said before, I'm not posting his book recipes here. You really should just buy his books! :)

What did I learn from this recipe tonight?
I realized tonight I've got to stop grabbing my pairing knife for EVERYTHING! I don't know why, but for some reason, it's my go-to knife, and I've got a ton of good knives already. 

This requires some fairly deep cuts into the chicken breasts, because that's how you're stuffing them. A pairing knife, even if you work the handle itself into the breast, really isn't long enough. I was almost sawing into the deepest part of the pocket with that pairing knife, and a longer knife would have been so much more efficient.

I also learned that broiling chicken is the way I should be oven cooking my chicken. For some blasted reason, I've always had to bake chicken longer than a recipe calls for. It doesn't matter where I've been cooking it. Oh sure, I can knock out a turkey on the first try, but give me chicken and it takes three times longer for it to bake all the way through! 

Because of the outdoor temperature tonight, I didn't feel like braving the chill outside at the grill again, so I broiled the breasts on high, for 10 minutes on each side, and they actually came out of the oven FINISHED on my first try! WHOO HOOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment