Saturday, February 27, 2016

Chimichitos and Eggs from Sam the Cooking Guy/11 Recipes Down

Tonight's entry is another two-parter and they're both from Awesome Recipes & Kitchen Shortcuts.

The first one is for Chimichitos: a cross between a burrito and a chimichanga. As always, my husband doesn't mind being my culinary guinea pig, even more so now when I tell him it's going to be a "Sam the Cooking Guy" recipe. I mean hell, this is a cooking show I can turn on and if my husband's home, he ends up watching it with me! :)

The good thing is a few weeks ago, I saw an episode where Sam talks about the best way to shred a rotisserie chicken, and I used that skill tonight. Granted, I did feed the skin to Cujo here, but he was supervising me and he had a hell of a morning at the groomer, so he deserved it. Unfortunately, I can't find that episode online, otherwise I'd post it here.

What did I learn from this recipe?
I learned that this is easier than making regular enchiladas. There's a lot less work and it seems to bake faster than the last time I made actual enchiladas.

I learned that a couple spoonfuls of black beans (left over from the salmon from a few nights ago) is a good addition.

I also learned it's okay to be a little heavier handed with the oil when you're brushing the top of something with it, before it goes into the oven. You're probably being told to use it to create a little color on whatever you're baking, so really slather it on there.

The other recipe is for...a hardboiled egg.

Stay with me for a second here. It will make sense, I swear it.

I do know how to boil an egg, however, Sam's got a different technique for it. And technically, this is a recipe so I've got to make it.

What did I learn from this recipe?
 I've been letting my eggs boil for like 10 minutes straight. I learned I don't need to do that. Boil them for 2 minutes, cover the pan and turn off the heat so they sit in hot water for 10 minutes. Boom...something new learned today.

Plus, I did boil them for a recipe for tomorrow, so I'm basically getting a jump start on tomorrow's lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment