Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Best Chicken/Egg Salad/12 Recipes Down

The recipe's title, The Best Chicken/Egg Salad comes from Sam the Cooking Guy himself, in Awesome Recipes & Kitchen Shortcuts.

When I make egg, chicken or tuna salad, I like to make it several hours in advance so it has time to chill in the refridgerator. I think this gives it a better chance to have all the flavors really mix together, better than serving it immediately. I made this late last night.

This is the first time I've made a chicken salad where I didn't bitch about the taste afterwards. My friend, Michelle the Cook, managed to hack the chicken salad recipe from Jason's Deli. I can't recreate it myself and I think my chicken salad attempts always taste very flat. That is not the case with this recipe. It didn't leave a mushy, mealy taste in my mouth.


What did I learn from this recipe?
I'm kind of  a die hard fan of mustard in these mayo-based salads. I always figured it would keep the salad from tasting too bland or just too much like mayo. I'm not a huge lone-mayo fan and I like something that cuts through that. However, I fought that urge and made this as the recipe says, sans mustard. And you know what...it wasn't too much of a mayo taste afterall!


I also substituted the curry for paprika. I realllllly don't like curry and don't even keep it in the house. I can only stretch but so far, people.

The true upside to this recipe is that it reminded me so much of my grandma's potato salad. Swap the chicken for potatoes, throw in a little white onion, and it would be the same thing. It was a nice little dose of nostalgia for me.


And I learned that one rotisserie chicken from Harris Teeter makes four Chimichitos and this chicken/egg salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment