Sunday, March 13, 2016

Horseradish Mashed Potatoes/16 Recipes Down

Well, here we go, back with the cooking again. It's been a few days. Last night's supper was some Chinese pork sausages from Harris Teeter and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes from Just a Bunch of Recipes.

I don't think I've ever had horseradish before. Sure, I've had wasabi, but as it turns out, horseradish and wasabi are not the same thing. Actually, my knowledge of horseradish was fairly limited. When I was a kid, the neighbor next door used to hole up in his work shed for a couple days every summer, making jar after jar of horseradish. He would collect baby food jars from somewhere ahead of time, and make it for all his friends. So, I thought about Vic while making these potatoes.

It's amazing the things I'm thinking about and remembering as I cook through these books.

I went about this recipe just a little differently than called for. Sam said to use hot cooked mashed potatoes. That could be instant potatoes or the already made ones from your local KFC or grocer's deli. I decided to make mine homemade.

What did I learn from this recipe?

I learned that when Sam calls for a "fat" tablespoon of horseradish, he means it. I think I originally made 4 cups of mashed potatoes, compared to the 2 cups Sam called for. The fat tablespoon of horseradish wasn't enough. You couldn't even taste it!

But this is a forgiving recipe, because I didn't overdo it with the horseradish. I had another crack at it to make it correctly. This afternoon, when I made leftovers for lunch. I just added more horseradish to the potatoes before reheating them in the microwave. Problem solved.

This was a good recipe and it'll will get made again, properly, and maybe I'll even make a wasabi version, too. It's got a little bit of the horseradish kick to it that was a really good element to it. It was like if you didn't know it was going to have horseradish in it and started to eat it, your tastebuds would be surprised by it and want more of it, if only to figure out what that taste was.

No comments:

Post a Comment