Saturday, March 26, 2016

The Kaplan Special/18 Recipes Down

Last night's supper was The Kaplan Special, from Awesome Recipes & Kitchen Shortcuts. It's actually in the breakfast section, which is apparently Sam's favorite kind of meal. And because I had a strange desire for eggs for supper last night, this is what I made.

And because my husband is all about Sam's recipes, he was all go for this one.

He wrote of this recipe, "If I ever opened a restaurant, this would absolutely be on the breakfast menu. It's way old school from my mom's family, and I could eat it every day."

What did I learn from this recipe?
I learned that yellow onions, when cooked soft with grape tomatoes and olive oil, really take on a light flavor. That taste you think of when you think of cooked onions really wasn't there last night. I used less onion than called for, and would probably still use less if making this again, but they weren't overpowering at all.

I also learned that the onions and tomatoes, in my opinion, should really be cooked on low, low, low heat. I had the heat originally set to low-medium, but that started to brown/carmelize the onions and I don't think we wanted that. Sam said to cook them for about five minutes, until they start to soften. Luckily, I was able to get the heat down quick enough and save them for the rest of the dish.

While we both liked it, we both agreed that it would be a better dish for brunch than a breakfast or a supper. It's kind of heavy, and I even "cheated" and used pre-cooked bacon last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment