Monday, June 6, 2016

Mexican Street Corn/23 Recipes Down

It's been a little while since I've done any real cooking, but I'm back in the swing of things.

Tonight's recipe, Mexican Street Corn, actually comes from Sam's show. (And because it's online and not taken from one of his books, I'll link to it here.) He said it was something he and one of his son's had while on vacation, and because that episode had taken on a Mexican-theme, he was going to make this corn. But the addition of one ingredient grossed out his wife (kind of to the point of overkill), so she wasn't going to eat it.

Serves 4

Stupid good.

Ingredients

  • 4 ears of corn, husks & silk removed
  • 3 tbs olive oil
  • 2 pairs wooden chopsticks--I didn't bother to use these.
  • 1/3 cup Mayonnaise--This is the ingredient that put his wife over the edge with this recipe.
  • 1/2 cup crumbled Queso Fresco or grated Parmesan cheese - on put on a plate
  • Juice of 1 lime--I didn't have a lime, so I left this out. I just don't like lime.
  • 1 tbs Chili Powder

Directions

  1. Heat grill to medium high. On the Mexican episode, Sam said to microwave the corn for about 6 minutes first, because it would cut down on the grilling time, so I did that.
  2. Rub olive oil on each ear and grill until they soften and get grill marks - about 15 minutes. I had my husband outside grilling these for us. He knew he was making corn on the cob, obviously, but he didn't know about the rest.
  3. Remove from grill, insert a single chopstick into the end of each ear as a handle
  4. Brush with mayonnaise, roll in cheese, then sprinkle with a little chili powder & finish with a squeeze of lime juice.

What did I learn from this recipe?
I am not a huge fan of mayonnaise. I actually prefer mustard on my sandwiches, partially due to taste first, and calories second. However, it was not too bad on the corn.

I also learned, along with my husband, that it's better to prepare these ears one at time, instead of making two ears right away, even if you think you're going to eat two. The addition of the mayo and the chesse, while quite filling, actually make quite a mess.

However...the chili powder on the corn? KICK ASS!!! This would be something I'd add to regular ole' kernel corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment