What have I already accomplished here, in my time in Hampton Roads?
25 must-try experiences in Virginia Beach for your summer bucket list
Summer is one of the best times of the year to live in Virginia Beach. There are so many things going on that you won’t have time to be bored. Here are 25 ideas to get you started. Next week, we'll have 25 more ideas. (But feel free to send us yours via the comment section below!)
1. Check out the circus at the Oceanfront. Every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday there are three free shows at 17th Street. The shows are at 7:30, 8:30 and 9:30 p.m.
3. Swing through the trees at The Adventure Park at Virginia Aquarium. Try out the park’s newest Black Diamond course, Black Hawk.
5. Ynot Wednesdays are back in Town Center every Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Bands play live all four hours, there’s a little farmers market, plus food and drink vendors.
6. Watch a movie on the beach. The big screen will go up for a few Thursdays in August at 26th Street, and it’s free.
7. Grab breakfast at the original Citrus on Shore Drive. The restaurant has an old-school beach vibe that can’t be replicated.
8. Check out the growing craft beer scene. You have so many options now, just within the Beach:
9. Why just get ice cream when you can get a scoop between two cookies or Rice Krispy Treats? Creamwiched, on Atlantic Avenue, has sweet treats off the beaten path.
10. Spend the day at Sandbridge’s beaches. They’re away from the tourist crowds and just as beautiful.
12. Check out the new fitness park at 36th Street. Swing across rows of rings or traverse the parallel bars.
13. Make the trip to Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. The more than 9,100 acres of land have more than 300 species of birds, plus reptiles, amphibians and other animals. Two boardwalk trails lead to the beach. You can also go fishing, cycling, hunting or even volunteer.
14. Sip on orange crushes at Waterman’s. If orange isn’t your jam, try some of the other flavors the popular restaurant offers, like grapefruit.
16. If you can climb out of bed early, take a free fitness class at Mount Trashmore. All you need is a good attitude.
17. Take a “shipwrecks and ghost lore” tour at the Old Coast Guard Station. The tours are given at 7 p.m. on Thursday and Friday nights.
20. Landstown Commons Shopping Center will have a free children’s festival on July 16. You’ll find bounce houses, costumed characters, face painting, and other kids’ activities. It’s from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
21. Check out free music at two Hardee’s locations. Country bands perform at the restaurants at 6:30 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays at the one at 6075 Indian River Road and 7 pm. Thursdays 701 Independence Blvd. 6075 Indian River Road and 701 Independence Blvd.
22. Artist talks at the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art are held throughout the summer, usually in the evenings. Hear Q&As with visiting artists.
23. Run in a 5k every week on the Boardwalk. The races start at 31st and are every Wednesday through August.
24. Step into your boots and head over to the Virginia Beach Farmers Market every Friday night for a hoedown. They last from 7 to 10 p.m. at 3640 Dam Neck Road.
25. Can you solve puzzles and piece together clues to solve a mystery? Try your hand at Escape Room Virginia Beach. It's at 408 Investors Place #107.