Saturday, August 13, 2016

Carne Asada Fries/35 Recipes Down

I came across this recipe last night. I was making the Honey Garlic Spareribs, from one of Sam's books, and watching a rerun of his show on Cox 11. I might be going into Sam-overload here!

The theme of the show as fair foods that he was remaking at home. One of the recipes was Carne Asada Fries.

Normally, I don't post Sam's recipes here, unless they come from his website. That's the case with this one.

Serves 4-6

A Southern California classic…never had em? You are in for a treat.

Ingredients

  • 1 bunch cilantro (no stems) chopped
  • 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon cumin (I used coriander, because I didn't have, and don't like, cumin.)
  • 1 teaspoon each Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • Zest & juice of one lime (You know how I've said I don't like lime? It's so good in this recipe. Sam has converted me!)
  • One flank steak – about 1.5 pounds
  • 1-28 ounce bag frozen French fries
  • About 2 cups shredded colby/jack cheese
  • Guacamole, and sour cream for garnish (I mashed up two avocados instead of making full on guac. I thought the flavors of the guac would override the steak and cheese.)

Steps

  1. Combine cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt & pepper, olive oil, lime juice and zest – mix well
  2. Put flank and marinade into a large Ziploc bag, zip shut and squish around to make sure flank is well covered
  3. Refrigerate 1-4 hours (I let mine marinate for an hour.)
  4. Heat grill to high and grill flank about 5 minutes each side
  5. Meanwhile, cook french fries according to package directions
  6. Slice flank into thins strips then rough chop into smaller pieces
  7. Put on top of cooked fries and top with cheese
  8. Microwave 30-60 seconds or until cheese melts
  9. Garnish with guacamole and sour cream
What did I learn from this recipe? 
The main thing I learned was that I didn't want to microwave the shredded cheese on top of the finished fries. I figured it would just make the fries soggy. Instead, I decided to make a cheese sauce, just because when Sam was filming at his local fair, he got these fries with cheese sauce.

I actually had to look up how to make a Velveeta cheese sauce, because I've never done it before. I added a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese to it.

While we were plating up this evening, I told my husband that if this alone wasn't enough for supper, to let me know and I'd make something more. This was very filling and enough on it's own. But even though it's fair food (and completely awesome), it's kind of heavy and probably not something I'll make on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment