Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Sam's Mexican Meatloaf/37 Recipes Down

Tonight's supper, Sam's Mexican Meatloaf, comes from Awesome Recipes & Kitchen Shortcuts. I hadn't taken anything out of the freezer for supper tonight, so I figured I'd make it up as I went along.

So after work, I'm poking through the freezer and find a pound of frozen ground lamb. Just for shits and giggles, I decided to check if Sam the Cooking Guy had any ground meat recipes. That's when I stumbled across this recipe. I threw the ground lamb, and a package of ground beef, into the microwave to start thawing them out.

I love a good meatloaf, and Shane loves Mexican food, so this ended up being a really good supper. It is ridiculously good. And because of the ingredients, you can control how strong the flavors are. I went a little heavier with the taco seasoning.

What did I learn from this recipe? 
I learned that the sauce or glaze for meatloaf doesn't need to be anything fancy. Sam had an actual recipe for the glaze, but I covered the top of the loaf with shredded Mexican cheese, and added some chunky mild salsa on top of that. It's just another layer of flavor that ties right into the meatloaf. Plus, I had salsa already. I didn't have apricot jam.

I think having some sour cream with this would have been kick ass though. :)


I learned the recommended cooking time of one hour wasn't quite long enough. I had to cook ours for 1 hour and 10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment