Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Still Working on That Second Costume

God, I just realized I haven't posted anything about my X-Wing pilot since May. I'm still working on it, mostly putzing around with the helmet.

I did manage to get my orange pilot suit from Wampa Wear taken in a little bit. I took 5.5" off the length of the legs, 2.25" taken off the length of the sleeves, and took in both legs and sleeves to make them a little more fitted. I even got my gloves, just a pair of Darth Vader costume gloves, because the cuffs are flared.

Last night I finished my belt and mini flares, thanks to a tutorial from JediXXL. I did learn a few things from that project.

1. I absolutely hate sewing through Velcro. The kind I have here is the sticky back, but it's not really strong enough. Plus it gums up my needle anyway so I have to toss it out and get a new one going.
2. I prefer snaps over Velcro.
3. This webbing for the belt is extremely forgiving.
4. That buckle is heavy as hell, for a belt buckle.
5. Staples from a staple gun will poke straight through the front of the mini dowels, if you try to staple through the belt, through the back, to secure the mini flares. Plus, you can crack the mini dowels.

In a few minutes, I'll be starting my ejection harness.

No comments:

Post a Comment