Saturday, October 1, 2016

Finishing Up the Leg Flares and Holder

Thanks to the on-going tutorials from JediXXL, I'm finishing up the leg flares and holder this afternoon.

As with other projects, I'll be using snaps to hold this on, outside the top of my boot. I wasn't able to find any olive drab 2" webbing (like what the belt and ejection harness are made from), so mine is made with some really nice olive drab canvas, with a strip of darker olive green 1" webbing.

The nice thing about the snaps is once I've got the costume complete, I can put it on and see if I need to adjust the straps to make the cuff tighter.

One thing I learned from this project: JediXXL recommends using thumb tacks through the back of the cuff to help hold the dowels in place. I'm using upholstery tacks, because I bought this stuff at Joann Fabrics and that's what they had.

However, I don't think one tack per dowel is quite enough. Granted, you won't lose the dowels, but there still might be some wiggle room for them to move around. I did get those loops as tight as I could around the dowels, but I decided to go ahead and add one more tack at the top of each dowel, for a little bit more security.

The next project is to get the flight vest and code cylinders ordered. And maybe figure out how to make a holster for my blaster. I've got plenty of that green canvas left. And I need to finish that damn helmet finally! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment